Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/08/16 11:23:44 UTC

[vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).

Each of these subprojects creates its own library - the full
avalon-excalibur.jar
is only there for compatibility.

I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.

The advantages:
- We only include those subprojects we need
- We minimize the build problems with excalibur
- Updating for example to a new store implementation, requires only
  updating this subproject and not everything
- The JDK depency is limited to one small jar, the datasource subproject
  which is optional for Cocoon, so the Cocoon core is no longer JDK
dependend
- If a bug is in one excalibur subproject we only have to revert this
  subproject and not all.

Disadvante:
- More smaller jars instead of one big one.

Here is my +1

Carsten

Re: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>> Disadvante:
>>> - More smaller jars instead of one big one.
>>>
>>> Here is my +1
>>

> +1.
>
> But it will rain on you more often ;)
>

>> +1. I started to move the Jisp based FS store to Avalon with the new
>> Jisp 2.0 API, today.
>

> Cool, this guy finally managed to roll out version 2?

It was a long way, but finally... :-).

If patience is a virtue, and ignorance is bliss,
you can have a pretty good life if you're stupid
and willing to wait.

Re: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Gerhard Froehlich wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>> Disadvante:
>> - More smaller jars instead of one big one.
>>
>> Here is my +1

+1.

But it will rain on you more often ;)

> +1. I started to move the Jisp based FS store to Avalon with the new
> Jisp 2.0 API, today.

Cool, this guy finally managed to roll out version 2?

Vadim

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.

--

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for
anything you want to do.

Weblogging at: http://radio.weblogs.com/0107791/

Re: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
and here is my +1 for using exalibur subprojects jars

Re: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:23:44AM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
> of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
> example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).
>
> Each of these subprojects creates its own library - the full
> avalon-excalibur.jar
> is only there for compatibility.
>
> I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
> and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.
>
> The advantages:
> - We only include those subprojects we need
> - We minimize the build problems with excalibur
> - Updating for example to a new store implementation, requires only
>   updating this subproject and not everything
> - The JDK depency is limited to one small jar, the datasource subproject
>   which is optional for Cocoon, so the Cocoon core is no longer JDK
> dependend
> - If a bug is in one excalibur subproject we only have to revert this
>   subproject and not all.
>
> Disadvante:
> - More smaller jars instead of one big one.
>
> Here is my +1

This absolutely makes sense to me! Why do we need update the whole of
excalibur (with all the potential problems that could cause) just to
update one partuclar component!

Here is my vote (if it counts for anything :-P)

+1

Regards,
Michael Melhem

RE: (was RE: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars)

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> John Morrison wrote:
> >>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> >>... I would really like to see Cocoon components behave as
> >>Gump project dependencies.
> >>So having all depend on Gump projects, and being excalubur components
> >>such projects in Avalon, our projects will depend od projects
> >
> > od?
>
> on

Thanks - just couldn't figure it :)

> > Anyway, good idea.  Think you could do it?
>
> I'm doing it now @ centipede, hope it's finished soon.
> Then I can make it happen here too.

Excellent :)

J.

Re: (was RE: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
John Morrison wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>... I would really like to see Cocoon components behave as
>>Gump project dependencies.
>>So having all depend on Gump projects, and being excalubur components
>>such projects in Avalon, our projects will depend od projects
>
> od?

on

> Anyway, good idea.  Think you could do it?

I'm doing it now @ centipede, hope it's finished soon.
Then I can make it happen here too.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

(was RE: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars)

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Christian Haul wrote:
> On 16.Aug.2002 -- 11:23 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
>>of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
>>example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).
>

>>I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
>>and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.
>

> +1

+1, also because I would really like to see Cocoon components behave as
Gump project dependencies.
So having all depend on Gump projects, and being excalubur components
such projects in Avalon, our projects will depend od projects, and now
if you have understood what I said good, or else don't worry, it's
normal, just look at the vote ;-)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stephan Michels wrote:
> avalon-excalibur-store-${vm}-${date}.jar
> avalon-excalibur-xmlutil-${vm}-${date}.jar
> [...]
>
> ??
>
> Long name ;-)

The names are:
excalibur-store-${version}.jar or excalibur-store-${date}.jar

Only in the case of the datasource we need the ${vm} distinction.
So actually, the names are not getting longer.

Posted by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Christian Haul wrote:

> On 16.Aug.2002 -- 11:23 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
> > of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
> > example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).
>
> > I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
> > and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.
>
> +1

+1

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 16.Aug.2002 -- 11:23 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
> of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
> example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).

> I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
> and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.

+1

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Some time ago, the excalibur project has split up their distribution
> of components into several subprojects. We use some of them (for
> example the component, xmlutil, store subproject etc.).
>
> Each of these subprojects creates its own library - the full
> avalon-excalibur.jar
> is only there for compatibility.
>
> I would suggest that we skip to all these nice little jars
> and remove the big avalon-excalibur.jar.
>
> The advantages:
> - We only include those subprojects we need
> - We minimize the build problems with excalibur
> - Updating for example to a new store implementation, requires only
>   updating this subproject and not everything
> - The JDK depency is limited to one small jar, the datasource subproject
>   which is optional for Cocoon, so the Cocoon core is no longer JDK
> dependend
> - If a bug is in one excalibur subproject we only have to revert this
>   subproject and not all.

+1

> Disadvante:
> - More smaller jars instead of one big one.

I think that's a little drawback compared to the advantage we gain.

Giacomo

RE: [vote]: Using excalibur subproject jars

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.