Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dave Mehringer <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/26 18:09:36 UTC

[users@httpd] issues with apache for windows

I had been running the 2.0.54 version of Apache on Windows XP Pro for several months without any major issues. The server is configured to start as a windows service at boot time.

  Recently, I was making changes the the conf file which of course required restarts of the server for the changes to take effect. The conf file is valid; I ran the server with the -t option.  However, the server will not start now on boot or from the normal start controls in the apache monitor or from the apache secton of the Start->All Programs menu.. There are no messages of any kind written to the error log when Apache tries to start in this manner. When trying to start it from the windows services GUI, I get a message that the server-specific error code is 1.

  I've uninstalled 2.0.54 and installed 2.0.55, but have the same results.

  The server will start if I start it manaully from a Windows Command Prompt terminal using

  "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe" -w -n "Apache2" -k start

  However, this will not do as a long term solution.

  In the past, I have had issues when restarting the server, but this has always been resolved by a reboot (again not a great solution, but something I could live with since I don't need to interactively restart the server very much). However, rebooting does not resolve the issue now.

  Any ideas?

Re: [users@httpd] issues with apache for windows

Posted by Dave Mehringer <da...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the useful suggeston. The meesage indicated there was some issue with the permissions on the conf file. I reset the permissions and the server now starts.
  Dave

Emmanuel E <em...@gmx.net> wrote:
          what does the event log in windows say? Start->Control Panel->Administrative tools->Event Viewer->Application
  See if there are any messages from Apache Service.