Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com> on 2006/09/16 04:24:37 UTC

Annoying subversion behavior

This is what I call a "wedged" subversion because it can't find it's way
out of a paper bag to give me a good error message.  (I know what I did
wrong, but SVN doesn't tell me how to fix it.)

1. Create a URL, checkout revision zero to /
2. Add the /boot directory to SVN, but don't "ci"
3. Wipe out the contents of /boot, including the .svn by accident
4. Now I'm stuck

# svn status boot
svn: Working copy 'boot' is missing or not locked

# svn status
!      .
~      boot

/ # cd boot
boot # svn status
svn: '.' is not a working copy

boot # svn co file:///var/svn/fw1/boot .
svn: URL 'file:///var/svn/fw1/boot' doesn't exist

boot # cd /
/ # svn add /boot
svn: warning: '/boot' is already under version control
/ #

And around and around we go... the .svn folder in / thinks that /boot is
under version control, but there's no .svn folder in /boot.  It's all
user-error, but SVN doesn't provide an easy and obvious way to recover
from it.  (Such as a "svn get-new-pristine-copy from repository" command
which would re-create the .svn folder without touching existing files.)

Re: Annoying subversion behavior

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
That is what I would try.

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Justin Patrin wrote:

> # cd /
> # svn revert boot

Hmm, I thought I had tried that... maybe because there were subfolders
under /boot (such as /boot/grub) it didn't actually do anything.  From
my log files:

src # cd /
/ # svn status -q
~      boot
/ # svn revert boot
svn: Try 'svn revert --recursive' instead?
svn: Working copy 'usr' is missing or not locked
/ # cd /boot
boot # svn status
svn: '.' is not a working copy

And "revert" is indeed the command that I was probably looking for.  But
under the stress of a deadline my reading skills were less then stellar.
  After another 30 minutes of futzing with various combinations, I blew
away all .svn folders, blew away the repository and re-added the files
in /boot, /etc and a few other locations.  (As well as updating my rsync
snapshot backup that uses hard links.)

Re: Annoying subversion behavior

Posted by Justin Patrin <pa...@gmail.com>.