Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Abhinav Damarapati <ab...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/11 19:24:46 UTC

Migrating Kafka from old VMs to new VMs in a different Cluster

Hello Everyone,

We have Kafka brokers, Zookeepers and Mirror-makers running on old Virtual
Machines. We need to migrate all of this to brand new VMs on a different
DataCenter and bring down the old VMs. Is this possible? If so, please
suggest a way to do it.

Best,

Abhinav

Re: Migrating Kafka from old VMs to new VMs in a different Cluster

Posted by Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>.
Depends on your use case but I guess something like this:
- Install al fresh on the new VM's
- Start a mirror maker in the the new VM's to copy data from the old ones
- Be sure it's working right
- Shut down the old VM's and start using the new ones

The last step is the trickiest and depends a lot on the setup, like how the
clients connect to kafka and if you can just shut the client down and up
again. There might also be an issue with consumers getting all the data
again.

Posted by Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>.