Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> on 2005/02/18 15:17:57 UTC

5.5 support for Java 5 language features in JSPs

Is there any realistic ETA for Java 5 language feature support in Tomcat
5.5 JSPs?

Tomcat 5.0.30 has a simple web.xml flag to note the target language version.

5.5 does too -- if you force it to use javac rather than JDT.  This is
sounding better and better the longer Tomcat 5.5 does not bundle a JDT
that fully supports Java 5.

I realize this is not a Tomcat issue as much as a JDT issue -- except
that Tomcat 5.5 uses JDT by default.  I also realize scriptlets are
considered evil -- but they, and hard requirements for Java 5 *now*, are
a fact of life for some of us.

--
Jess Holle

Re: 5.5 support for Java 5 language features in JSPs

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Jess Holle wrote:
> Is there any realistic ETA for Java 5 language feature support in Tomcat
> 5.5 JSPs?
>
> Tomcat 5.0.30 has a simple web.xml flag to note the target language
> version.
>
> 5.5 does too -- if you force it to use javac rather than JDT.  This is
> sounding better and better the longer Tomcat 5.5 does not bundle a JDT
> that fully supports Java 5.
>
> I realize this is not a Tomcat issue as much as a JDT issue -- except
> that Tomcat 5.5 uses JDT by default.  I also realize scriptlets are
> considered evil -- but they, and hard requirements for Java 5 *now*, are
> a fact of life for some of us.

Java 5 in scriptlets being a necessity ? Yeah riiiight. If you want it
now, it's easy: add ant.jar and tools.jar to common/lib. JDT from
Eclipse 3.1 will be used when it becomes stable.

I've read your previous complaint on the subject. One post is enough,
and the question has already been answered earlier.

Rémy