Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew R Feller <af...@lsu.edu> on 2007/10/30 15:10:42 UTC

Tomcat 6 Member uniqueId

In declaring static members for Tomcat 6 session replication, is there a
recommended way to determine uniqueIds for each member?  Are these some
randomly chosen IDs?  Here is the static membership example from
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/cluster-interceptor.html:

<Member className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.StaticMember"
        port="5678"
        securePort="-1"
        host="tomcat01.mydomain.com"
        domain="staging-cluster"
        uniqueId="{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}" />

Thanks,

Andrew R Feller, Analyst

Subversion Administrator

University Information Systems

Louisiana State University

afelle1@lsu.edu

(office) 225.578.3737

Re: Tomcat 6 Member uniqueId

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
with static members, the uniqueId doesn't really matter.
The uniqueId is used to be able to differentiate between the same node
joining a cluster, then crashing and then rejoining again.
if the uniqueId didn't change in between this, there is no way to tell
the difference between a node going down, or just leaving the cluster
and rejoining.

I think I need to add an "auto" flag for the static members, so that we
can achieve the same func with static members.
but in 99.9% of all cases, the unique Id means nothing, it's there to
add in support for more advanced future fail over handling.

Filip