Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Wang <pw...@uclink.berkeley.edu> on 2006/08/19 19:53:59 UTC

What is mcastBindAddr for??

Hi,

I am currently setting up 2 linux server and enabled the clustering and
multicast for these 2 servers.

I verified using the cat /proc/net/igmp command and found out once I started the
tomcat, machine will subscribe to the 228.0.0.4 group, multicast address.

I also used the ethereal to see the network traffic, both machine 1 and machine
2 send out UDP packet to address 228.0.0.4. Since from machine1, it can see both
the traffic

>From machine1 and machine2 to 228.0.0.4, I assume it can receive the message on
group 228.0.0.4.

However I did not find any tcp replication traffic come between machine1 and
machine2, the traffic between machine 1 and 2 seems all MySQL database request.

Can anyone shed some light on? I did not figure out what's the mcastBIndAddr
inside the server.xml. Documentation indicate it is for binding the multicast
socket to an address?

I donot understand what this is for.

Thanks

Pat

Re: What is mcastBindAddr for??

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
on a multihomed machine, you might only want to bind your multicast
socket to one interface, hence you use the bind address

Filip