Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Freyr Stefansson <st...@decode.is> on 2000/05/01 13:54:32 UTC

RE: Can I somehow run a java process (application) within the Tomcat java process

Thanks... Obvious or not, the first choice sounds exactly what I want.  We
had considered the other choice and were going to go that way unless
something better came along.  We didn't think of the first choice however!
One question though.  If I convert the app to a servlet... how can I make
sure it starts up when tomcat does?  I mean doesn't somebody have to invoke
the servlet to start it up?  or is there a method (constructor or
initializer) which is run as soon as tomcat starts?

Thanks a whole bunch for your help!
Stefan.

Posted by Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <st...@decode.is>.
Thanks... However that wasn't exactly what I meant...  I was talking about
the servlet itself... I've been doing a little reading and found out that
the init() method is run in a servlet when it is first loaded.  However...
what I'm not clear on is if it's ok to start a CORBA server in that method?
I've been doing a little testing and I found out that it seems to work to
put this code in the init() method of the servlet:

        super.init(config);

        try
        {
            String name;

            org.omg.CORBA.ORB orb = org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init();
            org.omg.CORBA.BOA boa =
((com.visigenic.vbroker.orb.ORB)orb).BOA_init();

            name = "KomodoServiceIDL";

            KomodoService komodoServiceIDL = new KomodoService(name);
            boa.obj_is_ready(komodoServiceIDL);
        }
        catch(Exception ex)
        {
            System.err.println(ex);
        }

Then I run "osfind.exe" which is a tool that comes with JBuilder3 and lists
all the CORBA services found I get my service on the list... so this seems
to be working.  However I do get an exception when I try to start my testing
client (which tries to use the CORBA services) but that might have some
other explanation... I have to do some research to find that one out
(waiting for my partner... he's doing all the CORBA stuff).

Just out of curiosity... what does the following tag do?  I'm guessing that
it tells the web server to load the servlet up on startup but what does the
10 mean???
<load-on-startup>10</load-on-startup>

Thanks alot everybody for your comments and ideas.. I think the problem is
gonna solve beautifully ;o)

Kind regards,
Stefan

Use the LoadOnStrartup when you define your servlet in WEB.XML, something
like this:

    <servlet>
      <servlet-name>Startup</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>StartupServlet</servlet-class>
      <load-on-startup>10</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

Kevin McBrearty
ATG Automation Technologies Group Ltd.