Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/24 18:30:10 UTC

infra note about direct linking into CVS / SVN

All--

  Just an FYI; infrastructure@ is asking that projects use care when
directly linking into the CVS / SVN repositories with hrefs like:

  http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/beehive/trunk/BUILDING.txt?root=Apache-SVN

which should instead be like:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/beehive/trunk/BUILDING.txt

The problem is that going through the CGI causes additional,
unnecessary load on the Apache servers and causes search engines to
index the content.  The viewcvs.cgi links should only be used when the
change history of a file needs to be accessed.  Ultimately, SVN
linking should only be used where the files can't be checked into the
website.

  I've converted the links I know of on our wiki; if you see others,
feel free to change them.

Thanks!

Eddie