Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org> on 2023/04/25 07:24:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release of Apache Parquet 1.13.1

Hi all,

I would like to discuss releasing Parquet 1.13.1. For Iceberg we ran into
two things:

   - We noticed that support for Hadoop 2 was dropped. Iceberg is still on
   2.7.3, and we're aware of the fact that has been released in August 2016.
   The PR that I've created
   <https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/1083/> bumps the lower bound
   to Hadoop 2.9.2. Which is also old, but if possible we would like to cater
   to the widest audience possible.
   - At Iceberg we also have the Apache Flink integration, and Flink is
   able to run without Hadoop. This required some minor changes (#1074
   <https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/1074>, #1073
   <https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/1073>) that already have been
   backported. It would be awesome to get these out.

My question is, after the release of 1.13.0 are there any issues that came
up, or anything that you would like to see being released? I'm happy to
volunteer as a release manager for 1.13.1. Let us know!

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of Apache Parquet 1.13.1

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Hey everyone,

I also got some pushback in Iceberg, so I've taken the time to revert the
change to continue <https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/1084/> to
support Hadoop <2.9. We now have two mechanisms to check if the stream is
byte buffer readable. First it will use the new mechanism (For Hadoop 2.9+
and Hadoop 3.3+. Otherwise, it will fall back to the previous method.
Please review and let me know what you think. Once in, I can backport this
to 1.13.1.

Kind regards,
Fokko Driesprong

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Hi Xinli,

Posted by Xinli shang <sh...@uber.com.INVALID>.
Hi Fokko,

--
Xinli Shang

Re: [DISCUSS] Release of Apache Parquet 1.13.1

Posted by Gang Wu <us...@gmail.com>.
That sounds good to me.

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.
Hey Gang,