Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> on 2002/04/09 17:19:57 UTC

[aaron@clove.org: Re: slow apache 2.0]

(I should have replied to users@httpd.apache.org too, oops.)

----- Forwarded message from Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> -----

From: Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject: Re: slow apache 2.0
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:18:59 -0700

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:47:02PM +0200, Nick De Decker wrote:
> I'm testing apache 2.0 but i'm having trouble with it.
> Benchmarks show very slow results when the number of concurrent users get
> high.
> i tested the prefork/worker settings but nothing seems to help.
> tested with ab :
> ab -n 10000 -c 1000 http://192.168.1.253/index.html (978 bytes page)

Ab is not very good for testing concurrency. Check out flood for
somewhat better concurrency (http://httpd.apache.org/test/flood/).

Also, keep in mind that although you'll see better scalability
with the worker MPM over the "classic" prefork MPM, the biggest
improvement will be in memory requirements. I've run 300+ threads
on my solaris 8 box while only consuming around 20MB.

-aaron

----- End forwarded message -----