Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Leuntjens <To...@korfina.be> on 2003/02/12 09:35:32 UTC

[users@httpd] apache processes growing

Hi all,

We have a strange behaviour that just came up last week for the first
time (after being in production for 1 year on a site that has approx.
6000-9000  daily visitors)

Our configuration is   SunOS 5.8 (6 gig memory),
Running apache 1.3_26 and Jrun 3.1 as application server.

When we start apache there are about 20 processes running. But short
after the processes grow fast to 100 processes ... at this time request
are not really reaching our Jrun server. Our machine is so slow we have
to restart apache.

There is no real pattern when the processes start growing, sometimes
they remain stable for a day or two , other times they just go trough
the roof within 24 hours ...

MaxRequestPerChild is at 1000 (recommended by apache for Solaris OS in
the install guide)

I found many similar problems like then when searching the web but no
real plausible explanation or solutions to this problem....
As I mentioned we didn't really reconfigure anything, the problem
started occurring last week ...

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this problem ?

Thanx
Regards,
Tom