Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Tacker <mt...@itfuture.de> on 2005/07/22 11:35:22 UTC

Any news on client side hook scripts?

   Hoi,

   I just searched the archive and came across this post [1], where Ken
   searches for a client side script to automatically build an unversioned parser
   from a versioned garramer file on checkout.

   This is similar to what I am looking for:
   Image having a web based program where Rev 1234 introduces changes to the
   underlying db structure which must be updated after the update. So it would
   be usefull that svn up gives a note after updating like:

   (Old rev is 1005)

   $ svn up ./
   U  file.a
   U  file.b
   A  file.c
   A  hooks/update-script
   Updated to revision 1234.
   The hook command 'hooks/update-script 1005 1234' will now be run.
   Continue [n/Y]:

   Any ideas/hints/progress on this?

   [1] http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=17100

--

   mit freundlichen Grüßen  |  Jabber: m@tacker.org
   m.tacker                 |  ICQ:    9170 9561

Re: Any news on client side hook scripts?

Posted by Brooke Smith <no...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hi Markus,

You could put your svn script in the $PATH before Subversion's svn
and thru it call Subversions's svn directly (ie. pass thru 'svn ci'
etc and with 'svn up' do whatever you need to do and then call 'svn
up' - with all calls using the absolute path name to svn).

Cheers,

Brooke

Posted by Markus Tacker <mt...@itfuture.de>.
   Hoi Bryan,

Posted by Bryan Dyck <bd...@mac.com>.
Markus Tacker wrote:

 >   Hoi,
 >
 >   I just searched the archive and came across this post [1], where Ken
 >   searches for a client side script to automatically build an
 > unversioned parser
 >   from a versioned garramer file on checkout.
 >
 >   This is similar to what I am looking for:
 >   Image having a web based program where Rev 1234 introduces changes to the
 >   underlying db structure which must be updated after the update. So it
 > would
 >   be usefull that svn up gives a note after updating like:

Hmm... that doesn't sound a whole lot different from writing a shell script that
wraps an 'svn up' operation on a particular repository path with whatever custom
action you need to take - in your case, regenerating your database. Yes, it's
"one more thing" to look after, but then, so is a client-side hook script...

Of course, it's possible I'm drastically oversimplifying things.. :)

Cheers,