Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yashesh Bhatia <ya...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/30 15:09:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Using apache on 127.0.01 , localhost and internal ip address (192.168.1.3)

Hello:

   I'm using Apache 2.2.3 on Fedora Core 5 and have installed it and
configured it to run on
my local IP address 192.168.1.3 by using the following line in the
httpd.conf file

Listen 192.168.1.3:80

Now I also want apache deamon to respond to requests on localhost and 127.0.01

How do I go about doing it ? I tried using virtual hosts by
uncommenting the line

LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

and adding the following entries in the file conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName localhost
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName 127.0.0.1
</VirtualHost>

However the above does not work (i did restart apache :)). So when i do

http://127.0.0.1/
or
http://localhost/

i get a message
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1

but i i do a
http://192.168.1.3/

it works fine.

Any tips on how to configure httpd.conf and httpd-vhosts.conf to make
the above work is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Yashesh

Re: [users@httpd] Using apache on 127.0.01 , localhost and internal ip address (192.168.1.3)

Posted by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com>.
If that is the only public IP address you have, just change the listen
directive to

Listen 80

which makes it listen on all interfaces on port 80

Or have two listen directive for each ip address

Posted by Yashesh Bhatia <ya...@gmail.com>.
thanks devraj, tal. that worked fine.

yashesh

Posted by Tal Cohen <tc...@sitespect.com>.