Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2006/01/17 19:36:37 UTC

Our doc deployment process

El jue, 12-01-2006 a las 10:09 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> You cannot deploy the docs automatically due to security restrictions
> in
> the ASF. What you can do is deploy to a staging server.

Hi all,

does that mean I cannot use forrest from my zone account to deploy the
official documentation? Only to the staging server?

How is David doing this?

TIA
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Our doc deployment process

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Except for one thing. It needs to be a committer doing
>>>the svn checkin, not a role-based account.
>>
>>Ahhh... yes - I *always* forget that (not a problem in some
>>environments, but it is a problem here at the ASF and I'm not at all
>>sure how it could be solved here).
>>
>>It is technically possible, but it means leaving a file with username
>>and password with SVN commit access on the zone. Obviously, this is not
>>a good idea from a security perspective.
>

> This is one of the factors that contributes to the
> quagmire of site-build discussions at site-dev@
>
> Actually we should not assume about this role-based
> accounts. This was from the situation long ago when
> we were not running on ASF hardware. Jeff had set up
> a forrestbot at cocoondev.org - a remote machine.
> Perhaps we should bring it up again on site-dev.
> ;-)

I think it is possible to discuss that without mentioning a tool ;-)

[OT]

For any Forrest devs reading this and interested in the site-build
project my above comment is because I have repeatedly made the mistake
of mentioning Forrest as a tool to assist in the publication of all ASF
web sites. This is a *big* mistake, everyone assumes this means they
have to work with Forrest directly and start getting concerned that they
will be forced to migrate their site generation system. It doesn't
matter how many times you explain otherwise since it appears that most
readers on site-dev only dip into occasional threads.

Of course, the flip side is that it appears that I, as a Forrest dev,
will only accept Forrest as "the one tool to rule them all". Which is
not the case, but one has to be careful with email because it is easy to
misinterpret. Certainly, some of my wording has given that impression.

I have much to learn about ASF wide projects ;-)

Ross

Re: Our doc deployment process

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.