Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2013/08/06 04:50:53 UTC

[PROPOSAL] EOL'ed releases 0.3.x

Guys,

I wanna propose something drastic yet necessary in my opinion. I don't see
much of the interest in the community to continue with Bigtop release on top
of Hadoop 1.x. I might be missing something on the account of the other
developers here, but I find it harder and harder to spare any time for 0.3.1,
considering how much I need to do in the trunk based releases of Bigtop.

Hereby, I am proposing to close 0.3.1 related tickets and archive 0.3.1
version in JIRA, as well as to remove branch 0.3.1, effectively shelving the
effort on Hadoop 1 based reference implementation of the stack.

If there's not much objections on the proposal above, I will go ahead and do
the logistics in a couple of days. Otherwise, we might need to call a vote ;)

Thoughts?
  Cos

Re: [PROPOSAL] EOL'ed releases 0.3.x

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Cos!!

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am +1 on proposal to close 0.3.1 related tickets and archive 0.3.1
> version
> in JIRA

+1

> I would personally prefer if we should renamed the git branch from
> "branch-0.3.1" to something like "deprecated-branch-0.3.1".

+1 to this too.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [PROPOSAL] EOL'ed releases 0.3.x

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
I am +1 on proposal to close 0.3.1 related tickets and archive 0.3.1 version
in JIRA.

I would personally prefer if we should renamed the git branch from
"branch-0.3.1" to something like "deprecated-branch-0.3.1".

Mark

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me at least --- the 1.X stuff is very important in the community... or
> at least... in my community :)
>
> Am i missing something?  maybe i have misinterpretted the proposal.

Well, basically it boils down to having somebody drive the effort. ;-)

We've had a couple of folks so far chiming in on this thread saying
that they have no interest in driving 1.X based stuff. That said, part
of the reason Cos started this thread is to identify anybody who'd
be volunteering to drive it.

Jay, would you be willing to RM it? Personally I'd be more than
happy if you did, but I've got to warn you -- given that virtually
all commercial Hadoop distros are now 2.x based it could
end up being a pretty lonely job.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [PROPOSAL] EOL'ed releases 0.3.x