Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Iann Gorrill <ia...@lfchosting.com> on 2007/12/08 00:06:20 UTC

MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY problems

Hello everyone,

We have a form that makes use of the phpmail class (http://
phpmailer.sourceforge.net) that for one reason or another, triggers
the MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY rule on every scan, stating that only a text/
html Content type was found, yet there is clearly a plain text
version being sent.

While I completely understand that this is more than likely a fault
of mine own or phpmailer's, I'd like to understand what it is in the
actual message that is wrong, so that I can resolve it.  As I didn't
feel like it would be good etiquette to post the entire message
source on list, here is a link to where you can view the full source
of a message that got triggered:

http://server20.lfchosting.com/ianng/message.txt

A couple of notes regarding this.  If you notice the required score
of 2 being set, that was only for testing purposes, so please don't
lambaste me over that one.  As well, I'm also quite aware the version
of SA should be upgraded on the box in question, however, looking at
the function that makes that decision on the above mentioned rule, it
hasn't changed over the versions.

Ok, I think that's it.  There, first post over, that wasn't too hard :)

--
Iann Gorrill
Network Analyst – igorrill@lfchosting.com

Re: MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY problems

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Iann Gorrill wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> We have a form that makes use of the phpmail class
> (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net) that for one reason or another,
> triggers the MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY rule on every scan, stating that only
> a text/html Content type was found, yet there is clearly a plain text
> version being sent.
>
> While I completely understand that this is more than likely a fault of
> mine own or phpmailer's, I'd like to understand what it is in the
> actual message that is wrong, so that I can resolve it.  As I didn't
> feel like it would be good etiquette to post the entire message source
> on list, here is a link to where you can view the full source of a
> message that got triggered:
>
> http://server20.lfchosting.com/ianng/message.txt
>
> A couple of notes regarding this.  If you notice the required score of
> 2 being set, that was only for testing purposes, so please don't
> lambaste me over that one.  As well, I'm also quite aware the version
> of SA should be upgraded on the box in question, however, looking at
> the function that makes that decision on the above mentioned rule, it
> hasn't changed over the versions.
>
> Ok, I think that's it.  There, first post over, that wasn't too hard :)
Doesn't match that rule in 3.2.3.. Perhaps it's time to upgrade from 3.0.6.

Re: MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY problems

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
> triggers the MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY rule on every scan, stating that only a
> text/html Content type was found, yet there is clearly a plain text
> version being sent.

> <http://server20.lfchosting.com/ianng/message.txt>

The main header has

I am not sure what it would mean for a container part to be text/html,
or whether it is valid.  I have a vague recollection that it IS valid,
but no recollection of why, so I am not sure about it :-)

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer