Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by vimpy batra <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2014/04/24 18:49:15 UTC

Cluster expansion and upgrade

Hello,

We are currently running a kafka 0.8-beta cluster. We are planning to expand the existing cluster and use 0.8.1 version on the new nodes.  Before upgrading the older ones we want the new ones to participate in the cluster. We plan to use "reassign-partitions" tool in 0.8.1 to reassign partitions to the newly added brokers. We will also add additional partitions to the existing topics. Is there a best practice to go about expanding clusters? Is this the recommended way to go or should we upgrade our existing cluster to 0.8.1 first?
I also noticed that there are some fixes on top of 0.8.1. Are they available to use?

Thanks,

Re: Cluster expansion and upgrade

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Partition reassignment wasn't fully working in 0.8-beta. So you probably
will have to upgrade existing brokers to 0.8.1 before running partition
reassignment. Also, 0.8.1.1 will be out soon.

Thanks,

Jun