Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Tom Dunstan <to...@intecgroup.com.au> on 2002/10/01 04:49:29 UTC

Excerpts

Hi Folks

We're using lucene to build a search engine. Lucene is an amazing piece of
software... well done and thanks to all involved with it!

We would like to display excerpts from the text of the field corresponding
to the body of the documents. I see that there are some API hooks in the
o.a.l.analysis.Token class which are documented as being used for such a
purpose, but I can't see any way to use them other than reparsing the entire
body text of the document at search time. Is that info (startOffset,
endOffset) stored in the index? If so, how can I get access to it? If not,
is there any way to do what I'm after without reparsing the document at
search time? The FAQ says not, but that was a while ago.

Many thanks in advance

Tom

--

Tom Dunstan

Mobile  0417 895 244
_______

Intec Consulting Group
* PO Box 7012 Hutt Street * Level 1, 1 Hutt Street * Adelaide 5000
* Tel  +61 8 8359 2332 * Fax  +61 8 8359 2264
Email: tom.dunstan at intecgroup.com.au
Website: www.intecgroup.com.au