Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2004/02/28 21:12:54 UTC

[Resources] Presence vs. contrib

The database implementations of Resources are currently under a contrib
directory, which seems to imply that they are somehow second class
citizens to the other implementations. I'd prefer to see them up there
with the best of them. ;-)

Perhaps we could use a 'presence' test, as Chain does, to determine
whether or not these pieces are built, and then integrate them more fully
into the Resources build?

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [Resources] Presence vs. contrib

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>:

> That sounds great.  I'll look at getting that done soon, although to be
> honest, I'm about to get a book deal so when that happens it will pretty
> much consume every non-working or non-sleeping minute of my time.

Good luck!  From everything that I've seen and heard from book authors, writing
code is fun but writing words is work :-).

Craig

Re: [Resources] Presence vs. contrib

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>:

> I'm not sure how you want to handle the tests that require a database
> configuration and connection (??Craig??).  They run fine for me with a
> simple mysql install.

How about if we create a test dependency on hsqldb (or some equivalent embedded
SQL database with a JDBC driver)?  Since it runs in the same process, it could
be managed pretty much like any other test.

> As far as building/dist-ing, Maven is giving me fits.  I am fighting with
> Maven to get it to do what I need (per last discussion about distributions
> and struts plugins, etc), but I'm just not that familiar with it.

I'm glad someone else is cutting their teeth on Maven building so I can just
benefit from their experience when it's done :-).

> I'm not complaining about Maven specifically, I just hate feeling stupid
> with this or any neat tool ;)
>
> Much like the discussions/arguments about jsp vs. velocity, Maven might be
> cool and might even be more powerful than Ant, but I am just not as
> knowledgable with Maven as I am with Ant build scripts.
>
> I'm going to move them to the main src directory, but I will need some
> assistence getting the tests to pass.
>

> --
> James Mitchell
> EdgeTech, Inc.
> 678.910.8017
> AIM: jmitchtx
> MSN: jmitchell@apache.org

Craig

Re: [Resources] Presence vs. contrib

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
That's great!!!  Can you help?  diff -u is the best way to submit patches.

Thanks in advance ;)

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>:

> The database implementations of Resources are currently under a contrib
> directory, which seems to imply that they are somehow second class
> citizens to the other implementations. I'd prefer to see them up there
> with the best of them. ;-)
>
> Perhaps we could use a 'presence' test, as Chain does, to determine
> whether or not these pieces are built, and then integrate them more fully
> into the Resources build?

+1 to both suggestions.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig

Re: [Resources] Presence vs. contrib

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, David Graham wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't that require that the jars for each implementation be
> distributed
> > with commons-resources as well?  There are quite a few jars for
> Hibernate
> > alone.  IMO, contrib is the best place for them so we don't bloat the
> main
> > code base with each implementation.  People can grab just the one they
> > need.
>
> There would be a single Resources jar, containing all implementations,
> but
> that doesn't mean that we distribute Hibernate or anything else along
> with
> it. (Commons Logging, for example, supports several different loggers,
> but
> doesn't distribute them.)

Where do we draw the line on which implementations to include in the
standard resources distro?  Hibernate is a great library and the single
most popular Java persistence framework but it's not a standard or from
Apache.  What about smaller XYZ implementations that aren't nearly as
widely used?

As long as we don't distribute Hibernate jars with commons resources I'm
ok with including it but we may choose to put every non-standard
implementation in contrib for simplicity.

David

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.