Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2018/04/01 08:35:26 UTC

[Oracle] Missing Css3.g file from donation -- suggestion for solution

Hello Geertjan,

I wanted to look into a CSS parser error I saw while working with NB9
and noticed, that one of the most important files is missing:

css.lib/src/org/netbeans/modules/css/lib/Css3.g

that file holds an antlr3 grammer for CSS 3. That file was not donated
and I think the reason is, that the header contains a different
copyright:

// Author      : Jim Idle, Temporal Wave LLC.
// Contact     : jimi@temp
oral-wave.com
// Website     : http://www.temporal-wave.com
// License     : ANTLR Free BSD License

My investigation showed, that the file is based on:

https://github.com/antlr/grammars-v3/blob/master/css21/css21.g
or
https://github.com/antlr/grammars-v3/raw/master/css21/css21.g

the headers and big chunks of the first checkin of Css3.g match.

I see that oracle might feel uncomfortable/prohibited donating the
whole file, but what could be donated is a diff between the original
file from the antlr repository and the current state in netbeans.

In technical term I suggest, that the patch against the base file is
donated:

# Get basefile
wget https://github.com/antlr/grammars-v3/raw/master/css21/css21.g
# Get netbeans state
wget http://hg.netbeans.org/releases/raw-file/tip/css.lib/src/org/netbeans/modules/css/lib/Css3.g
# Create patch
diff -u css21.g Css3.g > nb_css_parser.patch

That diff only contains changes done by netbeans committers and this is
either covered by the normal Oracle copyright (employees working on
netbeans) or the OCLA.

I also though about alternatives. Rebuilding the css.lib module from a
different grammar looks unrealistic, as combined grammars for CSS3,
SASS and LESS are not that many and they'd need to be compatible with
the exported API. Basicly this would mean to repeat the whole work that
 has gone into the css.lib module in the first place. Recovering the
grammar from the generated code (that was donated) - parts of the
grammar could be recovered, but I doubt everythink can be recovered and
it will also take a long time.

It would be great if this could be done.

Thank you

Matthias

Re: [Oracle] Missing Css3.g file from donation -- suggestion for solution

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey Geertjan,

done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-565

Thank you,