Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com> on 2012/10/10 23:52:52 UTC

Tapestry Problem on Google App Engine in Development

Using Tapestry 5.3.5 on Google Apps Engine.   In development, when I set
eclipse to use the newest GAE Java 1.7.2.1,  I see a screen-full of mostly
Black Diamonds with Question marks inside.

It seems normal again when I set in AppModule  -->

configuration.add(SymbolConstants.GZIP_COMPRESSION_ENABLED, "false");

Also seems normal when I point back to my previous GAE Java 1.7.1.

That's the only thing I changing...

Deployment to production seems to be okay, without having to change any of
the gzip settings.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?   GAE 1.7.2 Release notes mention
something about headers.

Thanks,

-Dan

Re: Tapestry Problem on Google App Engine in Development

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
I'm not 100% sure that tapestry has set the header since
response.containsHeader() returns false. It's probably best to debug to be
sure.

My gut feeling is that gae is having troubles with setting a header after
writing to the response body. Although tapestry is doing this legally, under
normal circumstances this is not allowed. Normally response headers must be
written before the body. Perhaps the new version of gae is making this
assumption in its implementation

Re: Tapestry Problem on Google App Engine in Development

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:37:38 -0200, Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>
wrote:

> In summary:
>
> I am using Tapestry 5.3.5.
>
> In development, GAE 1.7.2 no longer provided the gzip header (1.7.1 used
> to) (see previous logs and debugs)
> Would tapestry be dependent on the servlet implementation?  Is this a GAE
> issue?

It surely looks like a GAE issue, as it seems to be removing an HTTP
header set by the webapp.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: Tapestry Problem on Google App Engine in Development

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
In summary:

I am using Tapestry 5.3.5.

In development, GAE 1.7.2 no longer provided the gzip header (1.7.1 used to)
(see previous logs and debugs)

Tapestry sends gzip anyways. Black diamonds <?> in browser.

Please improve any of my assumptions...  Can anyone chime in and explain
what may be happening?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
Interesting:

        @Override
        public boolean service(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response,
                HttpServletRequestHandler handler) throws IOException {

            boolean rc = handler.service(request, response);

            logger.error("Contains header: " +
response.containsHeader("Content-Encoding"));

            return rc;

        }

configuration.add(SymbolConstants.GZIP_COMPRESSION_ENABLED, "false");

1.7.1

17:37:56,310 ERROR [com.MyFilter:28] - Contains header: false

1.7.2

17:47:20,215 ERROR [com.MyFilter:28] - Contains header: false

------------------------------

(not explicityly setting GZIP compression to false)

1.7.1

17:42:38,786 ERROR [com.MyFilter:28] - Contains header: true

1.7.2

17:41:20,049 ERROR [com.MyFilter:28] - Contains header: false

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
Does this look like the proper way?
>From AppModule,

    public void contributeHttpServletRequestHandler(

        OrderedConfiguration<HttpServletRequestFilter> configuration) {

        configuration.add("MyFilter", new MyFilter(), "after:GZIP");

    }

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
So, this seems to be an issue in tapestry after all.

Can any tapestry gurus explain why tapestry would return gzipped content
without setting the Content-Encoding header?

Re: Tapestry Problem on Google App Engine in Development

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
Oops, pardon me, I see now, can't get the value, only true/false.

AppModule:

@Override
    public boolean service(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response,
            HttpServletRequestHandler handler) throws IOException {

        logger.error("Contains header: " +
response.containsHeader("Content-Encoding"));

        return handler.service(request, response);

    }

1.7.2.1
            configuration.add(SymbolConstants.GZIP_COMPRESSION_ENABLED,
"false");

12:41:53,851 ERROR [com.MyFilter:27] - Contains header: false

Without turning off gzip compression by setting it to false:

12:44:02,940 ERROR [com.MyFilter:27] - Contains header: false

12:45:42,095 ERROR [com.MyFilter:27] - Contains header: false

1.7.1

12:49:04,271 ERROR [com.MyFilter:27] - Contains header: false

----------------

False for everything.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
.containsHeader(..    yes, pre 3.0

.getHeader(       3.0

GAE must be using pre-3.0. Servlet spec...

http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#getHeader%28java.lang.String%29

Sigh...
getHeader

java.lang.String *getHeader*(java.lang.String name)

Gets the value of the response header with the given name.

If a response header with the given name exists and contains multiple
values, the value that was added first will be returned.

This method considers only response headers set or added via
setHeader(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#setHeader%28java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String%29>,
addHeader(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#addHeader%28java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String%29>,
setDateHeader(java.lang.String,
long)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#setDateHeader%28java.lang.String,%20long%29>,
addDateHeader(java.lang.String,
long)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#addDateHeader%28java.lang.String,%20long%29>,
setIntHeader(java.lang.String,
int)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#setIntHeader%28java.lang.String,%20int%29>,
or addIntHeader(java.lang.String,
int)<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#addIntHeader%28java.lang.String,%20int%29>,
respectively.

 *Parameters:*name - the name of the response header whose value to return *
Returns:*the value of the response header with the given name, or null if
no header with the given name has been set on this response*Since:*Servlet
3.0

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
It's in the 2.3 javadocs?

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
That also is Servlet spec 3.0...

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
That also is Servlet spec 3.0...

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
Hmm..Where is my mind, of course..

But it seems response.getHeaderNames() is in Servlet Spec 3.0.    Seems
like GAE gwt-2.4.0/gwt-user.jar is 1.5 and doesn't have that call
available? Another way to check?

Anyway, I'm convinced it's a GAE 1.7.1 -> 1.7.2 upgrade problem....Perhaps
GAE is not worth the trouble...

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
When I turn off gzip compression with

configuration.add(SymbolConstants.GZIP_COMPRESSION_ENABLED, "false");

my page generates a java.lang.IllegalStateException
Sanity check - neither a stream response nor a redirect response was
generated for this action request.

Can we at least get tapestry-developers to give us a sideways glance?
Thanks!

AppModule:
    public void contributeHttpServletRequestHandler(
        OrderedConfiguration<HttpServletRequestFilter> configuration) {

        configuration.add("MyFilter", new MyFilter(), "after:GZIP");
    }

public class MyFilter implements HttpServletRequestFilter {

    private final Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(MyFilter.class);

    public MyFilter() {

    }

    @Override
    public boolean service(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response,
            HttpServletRequestHandler handler) throws IOException {

        @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
        Enumeration<String> e = (Enumeration<String>)
request.getHeaderNames();

        while (e.hasMoreElements()) {

            String name = e.nextElement();
            logger.error(name + " " + request.getHeader(name));
        }

        return handler.service(request, response);

    }
}

MyFilter:33] - Host localhost:8888
MyFilter:33] - User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:16.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
MyFilter:33] - Accept
text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
MyFilter:33] - Accept-Language en-US,en;q=0.5
MyFilter:33] - Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
MyFilter:33] - Connection keep-alive
MyFilter:33] - Cookie JSESSIONID=ey6yjar4lm3
MyFilter:33] - Cache-Control max-age=0

Posted by Dan Cyr <da...@thirdhalf.com>.
There seems to be a   "Content-Encoding    gzip"   missing on the response
in 1.7.2.  Would that be the cause? Should GAE provide that header?   Are
they listening or can we inform them?

1.7.1
Response Headersview source
Content-Encoding    gzip
Content-Type    text/html; charset=utf-8
Server    Jetty(6.1.x)
Transfer-Encoding    chunked

Request Headersview source
Accept    text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding    gzip, deflate
Accept-Language    en-US,en;q=0.5
Cache-Control    max-age=0
Connection    keep-alive
----

1.7.2
Response Headersview source
Cache-Control    no-cache
Content-Length    3222
Content-Type    text/html; charset=utf-8
Date    Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:21:51 GMT
Expires    Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:21:51 GMT
Server    Development/1.0
Set-Cookie    JSESSIONID=ey6yjar4lm3;Path=/

Request Headersview source
Accept    text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding    gzip, deflate
Accept-Language    en-US,en;q=0.5
Cache-Control    max-age=0
Connection    keep-alive