Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2013/11/03 15:32:06 UTC

Re: Virtual hosting and SMTP

On 27/10/13 10:31, Robin Bankhead wrote:

> Quoting Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
>
>> Multiple outgoing gateways are possible.
>>
>> the outgoing tag is the name of the queue that will hold messages
>> being processed by the RemoteDelivery Mailet (deployed doc is
>> misleading). Use distinct one per RemoteDelivery mailet.
>>
> OK I have it now, everything I needed was in the mailetcontainer.xml
> file so I just worked from that, putting my own blocks above the
> "All"-matching one.  I'd gotten so distracted with my maildir adventures
> that I forgot all about this being there, sorry ^^

OK

>> If you don't want to enforce ssl/tls, don't use the startTls/sslEnable
>> tag. Btw, I suspect bad bugs there.
>>
> Err, do you mean bad bugs when enforcing, or when not? (Or just with
> impl of SSL/TLS generally?)

Simply not working in general, at least I need to double check.

>> for filtering..., current matchers can help, but sieve is not
>> operational atm.
>>
> Yeah the matchers look to have all I need for matching, but with no
> mailet that can do "FileInto" (in Sieve-speak) that's no good... Is
> there a lot needing to be done with sieve? Perhaps I could help...
>
>> Take care if you don't use /%user/%domain and experiment...
>>
> Seems OK so far.  Are you thinking concurrency issues, parts of the code
> expecting this format (in which case why make it configurable?), or
> something else?

Nothing about concurrency, but more about the virtual hosting working.
the %domain is needed for this.

> While on that subject, are there any other variables that could be used
> there? (Hey, I'm in breaking-stuff mode)
>
>> What do you mean with "user+box@..." ?
>>
> I'm sure I came across a notation like this while I was creating the
> vhosting setup on my home box (with dovecot and postfix), but of course
> I can't find a citation for you now :S
>
> IIRC, the idea was you appended a plus-sign followed by this "next hop"
> string to the recipient name when sending, and this was a cue for the
> receiving MDA to file it into the specified subdir of that mailbox.
> Probably some short-lived proprietary extension from years ago; if you
> haven't heard of it then that's all I need to know ;)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.2.4

'+' is a valid character for username.
SMTP servers can indeed assign proprietary meaning.
You can achieve this in James with a Regex Matcher.

Re: Virtual hosting and SMTP

Posted by Robin Bankhead <ap...@headbank.co.uk>.
Quoting Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:

>>> Simply not working in general, at least I need to double check.
>>>
>> Seems OK here when the gateway demands STARTTLS (not SSL) and I don't
>> demand anything.  I think that covers all the gateways I'll be using.
>>

> So SSL is not working?

Not tried (not really important for outbound mail to my mind, as no
expectation of content encryption for the rest of the journey anyway -
AIUI).  Each gateway we use has an alternate that's SSL so I can test
it and let you know.

>>> Nothing about concurrency, but more about the virtual hosting working.
>>> the %domain is needed for this.
>>>
>> I guess my nomenclature was bad with my subject line.  It's not really
>> vhosting in the James sense at all, as effectively there would just be
>> one domain in use (and it's no problem to use the variable in the
>> .properties if it's needed, although it didn't appear to be for me).
>>
>> The fetchmail conf can deliver mail for all upstream domains/users into
>> one mailbox, but it would be desirable if it could filter it into
>> certain subfolders.  Leaving the user issue aside, that's something also
>> required for certain other types of incoming filtering (spam and other
>> things).
>>

> So you want to fetchmail and deliver in a kind of "mailet way"
> (intelligent processing) ?

Yeah, that's it.  I do all the same sort of things with sieve on my
dovecot setup at home; delivering to a specified subfolder based on

* Recipient address (so each can have its own "pseudo-inbox")
* Wildcard/regex comparison of sender address or subject (some
correspondence is done using the main address, but is always dealt
with by a certain person)
* Spam-score header (all spam is delivered, just not into the inbox -
as a business you don't want to miss anything)

>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.2.4
>>>
>>> '+' is a valid character for username.
>>> SMTP servers can indeed assign proprietary meaning.
>>> You can achieve this in James with a Regex Matcher.
>>>
>> OK, but without a suitable mailet for the filing, it looks like I'm
>> still stuffed.
>>
>> I'm a bit lost atm in JIRA trying to work out where
>> sieve/jsieve/sieve-mailet is broken.  Can anyone shed light on this?
>> I'd like to look at it myself if I can, as it's seemingly down to that
>> or writing my own mailet from scratch.
>>

> Give me a few days, I will try to clean this up.

Good news :) I did come across JAMES-1373 which gives me a bit of an
idea what's up, so I'm trying to have a look at this myself at the
same time.

Thanks for your time with this, it's very much appreciated.  I think
sieve being operational again would please a lot of people, not just
me and my victims ;)

Robin Bankhead

Re: Virtual hosting and SMTP

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.