Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2013/05/20 16:48:32 UTC

Low latency data access Vs High throughput of data

Hi,

I have a basic question on HDFS. I was reading that HDFS doesnt work well with
low latency data access. Rather it is designed for the high throughput
of data. Can you please explain in simple words the difference between
"Low latency data access Vs High throughput of data".

Thanks,
Raj

Re: Low latency data access Vs High throughput of data

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
Waoh! I know what latency is and what throughput is , but when someone asks
me this question , I was never able to answer it to me satisfaction. Now I
can.

Thanks a lot!

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the explaination.

Regards,
Raj

________________________________
Low latency data access:  I hit the enter key (or submit button) and I expect results within seconds at most.  My database query time should be sub-second.
High throughput of data:  I want to scan millions of rows of data and count or sum some subset.  I expect this will take a few minutes (or much longer depending on complexity) to complete.  Think of more batch style jobs.

Caveats: This is really a map/reduce issue also.  The Set up and processing of M/R jobs takes a bit of overhead.  There are a couple of projects working now to move toward lower latency data access.

Also, HDFS stores data in blocks and distributes them across many nodes.  This means that there will (almost) always be some network data transfer required to get the final answer, and that "slows" things down a bit, depending on throughput and various other factors.

Hope that helps. :)

Posted by Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com>.