Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com> on 2000/08/26 09:51:50 UTC

Documentation progress

Hi everybody,

I've finished the tomcat-apache-howto (attached for Alex), except for the
section on mod_jk.  I'm in between semesters right now and spent about 4-5
solid out-of-work time days on it and I kind of want to do something else
other than try to learn mod_jk from the source code and conf files =b  More
specifically, to work on the site that got me interested in Tomcat in the
first place, because since then I've read some stuff on JSP design on
JavaWorld, checked out Struts, etc. and want to get my hands dirty.

There are two things I'd be interested in working on in the almost-near
future that are actually in the STATUS =)  The first one isn't taken, and
the second one has Gal's name on it:

- Add out-of-the-box functionality to install Tomcat as a "service" under
Microsoft NT.

- Improve the ease of installation of Tomcat, especially on Windows
platforms by integrating it with an installation program.

I ran across a few things while building a sample install in VISE: needed a
name for the program and install folder (jakarta-tomcat?  tomcat?) and some
icons.  Also, what items would be in the folder?

+ Tomcat
	+ Configuration
		- server.xml
	+ Docs
		+ Server Integration
			- Apache
			- IIS
			- Netscape
		+ <other doc categories>
		- User's Guide
	- Start Tomcat
	- Stop Tomcat

Stuff like that.  Has anyone already put thought into all of this?

It's been pretty cool contributing to a freeware project and getting a
little bit of input/feedback.  I wrote some stuff (Win32 code, not docs) for
Litestep once and no one would reply to any of my posts asking how to
contribute =(  So this has been really fun.  Thanks everyone!

- r