Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by richiebaby <ri...@logica.com> on 2008/04/02 17:39:11 UTC

FreeMarker template error! when managing comments

Hi,

I have quite a serious bug with my live Roller installation. I am using
Roller V4.0.

The problem occurs when you are viewing the comments for a weblog (Create &
Edit --> Comments).

The first 11 or so comments display fine and you see the checkboxes that
allow you to mark as 'approved, spam or delete'. Then there is a comment
that appears to break and what you see is the same error message printed 3
times - it looks as though there is one error for each check box column.

Here is the beginning of the stack trace:

Error on line 11, column 13 in template/simple/checkboxlist.ftl
stack.findString(parameters.listValue) is undefined.
It cannot be assigned to itemValue
The problematic instruction:
----------
==> assignment: itemValue=stack.findString(parameters.listValue) [on line
11, column 13 in template/simple/checkboxlist.ftl]
 in user-directive s.iterator [on line 3, column 5 in
template/simple/checkboxlist.ftl]
----------

Java backtrace for programmers:
----------
freemarker.core.InvalidReferenceException: Error on line 11, column 13 in
template/simple/checkboxlist.ftl
stack.findString(parameters.listValue) is undefined.
It cannot be assigned to itemValue
	at freemarker.core.Assignment.accept(Assignment.java:111)

I have attached the full error:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p16447315/bug.txt.txt bug.txt.txt

All assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Re: FreeMarker template error! - PROBLEM FOUND.

Posted by richiebaby <ri...@logica.com>.

Dave Johnson-8 wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 6:08 AM, richiebaby <ri...@logica.com> wrote:
>>
>>  PROBLEM FOUND! Is it a Roller bug?
>>
>>  I have been able to replicate the issue on my development installation
>> by
>>  simply posting a comment to a weblog entry whilst leaving the Name field
>>  blank.
>>
>>  When inspecting the comment management page that lists all of the
>> comments,
>>  I can see that the 'Posted by' field is being set to "User from IP
>> address
>>  XX.XXX.XXX.X". This seems to be a default Roller functionality because
>> in
>>  the database (within the ROLLER_COMMENT table) I can see a value of
>> <NULL>
>>  within the NAME field for that comment.
>>
>>  Therefore I still have 3 questions:
>>
>>  Is this a known bug, is there a fix?
>>
>>  Is it possible to force the Name field to be mandatory when posting a
>>  comment?
>>
>>  Can I perform direct sequel on the ROLLER_COMMENT table to replace the
>>  <NULL> value with the text "Guest", for example?
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem. When I leave the name field blank,
> things work fine in the comment management page. What is your
> environment?
>
> # What version of Roller are you using? If you are building from
> sources, on which branch are you building?
> # What Application Server version are you using?
> # What database are you using?
> # What Java version are you using?
> # What operating system are you using?
>

> - Dave

Hi,

Thanks for reading. I have seen the issue on both my development server and
my clustered live servers.

I didn't perform the installations so if more info is needed, please ask and
I will find out - In response to your questions:

With respect to DEV
-------------------
# What version of Roller are you using? If you are building from sources, on
which  branch are you building?
V4.0 (apache-roller-4.0-rc2.zip)

# What Application Server version are you using?
Tomcat 5.5.23

# What database are you using?
Oracle 10g 10.2.0.3.0

# What Java version are you using?
jdk1.5.0_11

# What operating system are you using?
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition
Service Pack 1

With respect to LIVE
--------------------
# What version of Roller are you using? If you are building from sources, on
which  branch are you building?
V4.0 (apache-roller-4.0.zip)

# What Application Server version are you using?
Tomcat 5.5.23

# What database are you using?
Oracle 10g 10.2.0.3.0

# What Java version are you using?
jdk1.5.0_11

# What operating system are you using?
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition
Service Pack 2

As a temp fix I have updated weblog.vm (\WEB-INF\velocity\weblog.vm) to not
allow the user
to submit a comment with the name field blank.

function validateComments(theForm) {
        //Additional validation added to stop null values being written to
        //the database for an empty name field
        if (theForm.name.value == "") {
            alert("$text.get( "Please enter a name" )");
            theForm.name.focus();
            return false;
        }
        else if (theForm.content.value == "") {
            alert("$text.get( "macro.weblog.commentwarning" )");
            theForm.content.focus();
            return false;
        }
    }

Re: FreeMarker template error! - PROBLEM FOUND.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by richiebaby <ri...@logica.com>.
PROBLEM FOUND! Is it a Roller bug?

I have been able to replicate the issue on my development installation by
simply posting a comment to a weblog entry whilst leaving the Name field
blank.

When inspecting the comment management page that lists all of the comments,
I can see that the 'Posted by' field is being set to "User from IP address
XX.XXX.XXX.X". This seems to be a default Roller functionality because in
the database (within the ROLLER_COMMENT table) I can see a value of <NULL>
within the NAME field for that comment.

Therefore I still have 3 questions:

Is this a known bug, is there a fix?

Is it possible to force the Name field to be mandatory when posting a
comment?

Can I perform direct sequel on the ROLLER_COMMENT table to replace the
<NULL> value with the text "Guest", for example?

Thank you in advance.