Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joel Colombo <ne...@playoutloud.net> on 2003/10/07 09:42:34 UTC

Re: [struts] Digest Number 3068

Looks all good... since images how up on the static pages.
 They are sourced to apache remote root variable in GlobalVar Table

Joel

           From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
      2. Re: How to use jaas with Struts and Tomcat
           From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
      3. Re: Preparing Multiple DynaValidatorForm?s with one action
           From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
      4. Re: Preparing Multiple DynaValidatorForm?s with one action
           From: "Pat Quinn" <pa...@hotmail.com>
      5. Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs.
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml
           From: Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>
      6. Re: workflow extension question
           From: "Adam Levine" <ad...@hotmail.com>
      7. RE: Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs .
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml
           From: Matt Raible <MR...@RESORTQUEST.com>
      8. Re: Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs.
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml
           From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
      9. [ANN] New Eclpse-based Struts Studio 5.0 - must see tool!
           From: Igor Shabalov <ig...@exadel.com>
     10. Re: data disappearing in jsp
           From: "Max Cooper" <ma...@maxcooper.com>
     11. Re: error code 404
           From: "Max Cooper" <ma...@maxcooper.com>
     12. Re: error code 404
           From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
     13. Multiple Choices
           From: "ajay brar" <aj...@hotmail.com>
     14. RE: Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs .
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml
           From: Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>
     15. nested fails when non-nested tag works? why?
           From: Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com>
     16. RE: data disappearing in jsp
           From: krishnamohan <kr...@indosoft.stph.net>
     17. Object mapping..
           From: "virupaksha" <vi...@hotmail.com>
     18. Re: error code 404
           From: "Peter Ondruska" <pe...@hotmail.com>
     19. Re: Object mapping..
           From: hgosper@csc.com.au
     20. ssl question
           From: "Stephane Grenier" <st...@landlordmax.com>
     21. Re: ssl question
           From: "Stephane Grenier" <st...@landlordmax.com>
     22. Performance constraints
           From: "Rohit_Arora" <Ro...@infosys.com>
     23. wrapping action invocations
           From: Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>
     24. RE: Performance constraints
           From: "Navjot Singh" <na...@net4india.net>
     25. RE: Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs .
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml
           From: "Navjot Singh" <na...@net4india.net>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:06:23 -0700
   From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Craig: Tomcat 5.0 WAR Deployment

Sean Dockery wrote:

>I believe that you mean deploy and undeploy.  Haven't install and remove
>been deprecated under Tomcat 5?  I couldn't find an example that uses the
>install or remove tasks on the page you cited.  :-)

Yah, it looks like they did change the terminology for 5.x (it's the
right ones for 4.x).

Craig

>"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote in message
>

>>Mark Galbreath wrote:
>>

>>>Craig,
>>>
>>>I'm writing a simple Struts standalone app to Tomcat 5.0 (trying to learn
>>>Struts + JDO) and Tomcat is not auto-deploying the WAR after Ant
>>>

>compiles,
>

>>>assembles, and puts it in the webapps root.  Auto-deploy is set to "true"
>>>

>in
>

>>>server.xml...anything else I am missing?
>>>

>>I don't like the "autodeploy from the webapps" feature because you can't
>>undeploy.  I tend to use the "install" and "remove" and "reload" Ant
>>tasks instead:
>>

>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Executin
g%20Manager%20Commands%20With%20Ant

>>Note that you don't have to copy anything -- just tell Tomcat to deploy
>>directly from your build directory (if you're on the same machine).  An
>>example build.xml that supports this feature can be found at:
>>
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/index.html
>>

>>>Thx,
>>>Mark
>>>

>>Craig

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:11:59 +0200
   From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject: Re: How to use jaas with Struts and Tomcat

There's a JAAS Realm implementation in Tomcat that you can use to plug
into the container-managed security Form-based authentication.

I did have some problems trying to get it to run basic authentication,
but form-based works fine.

Adam

On 10/06/2003 10:12 PM Sean Dockery wrote:
>>>From another recent thread on this subject:
>
> <snip>
> Try this :
> http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=JAAS
> </snip>
>
> "Marcial Atienzar Navarro" <ma...@teleco.upv.es> wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>> I need to know how to use jaas with struts in tomcat. Is there some kind
>
> of
>
>>example in the network? Where can I find more information about this?
>>
>> A lot of thanks,
>>
>>  Marcial Atienzar

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:16:21 +0200
   From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject: Re: Preparing Multiple DynaValidatorForm?s with one action

Hi Pat,

are you sure you've got the best approach? Trying to shoe-horn two forms
into one request tells me generally (when it happens to me) that I
should refactor the design of whatever use-case I'm working on.

If I have a submit to one action mapping that on success must forward to
another action mapping with a completely different form, I use a
re-direct. Of course it drops all the data in-between but you're better
off in the long run.

Adam

On 10/06/2003 06:09 PM Pat Quinn wrote:
> I currently have an action (Action A) which is associated with
> Action_Form_A ( i.e. org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm) i
> want to forward to another tile definition which requires Action_Form_B.
> I want to initialise a List in Action_Form_B how can i do this as the
> action i'm currently in only knows about ACTION_FORM_A. I only want to
> intialise actionforms within a common action i'll have seperate action
> to deal with submits.
>
> I've tried casting the inbound Action Form to type DynaValidator and
> calling the relevant set methods but this fails as you'd expect as its
> referencing ACTION_FORM_A only.
>
> Next i tried to create a new instance of DynaValidator & called
initialise:

> DynaValidatorForm dynaForm2 = new DynaValidatorForm();
> dynaForm2.initialize(pMapping);
> dynaForm2.set("name", "Joe Bloggs";
>
> This too fails with a nullpointer... i could forward to another action
> which prepares the actionform for the next view... is there another way
> i could do this?

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 22:53:21 +0100
   From: "Pat Quinn" <pa...@hotmail.com>

Cheers guys I kinda knew this was the response I'd get separate actions it
is then

>From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
>Subject: Re: Preparing Multiple DynaValidatorForm?s with one action
>Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:16:21 +0200
>
>Hi Pat,
>
>are you sure you've got the best approach? Trying to shoe-horn two forms
>into one request tells me generally (when it happens to me) that I should
>refactor the design of whatever use-case I'm working on.
>
>If I have a submit to one action mapping that on success must forward to
>another action mapping with a completely different form, I use a re-direct.
>Of course it drops all the data in-between but you're better off in the
>long run.
>

>Adam
>

>On 10/06/2003 06:09 PM Pat Quinn wrote:
>>I currently have an action (Action A) which is associated with
>>Action_Form_A ( i.e. org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorForm) i want
>>to forward to another tile definition which requires Action_Form_B. I want
>>to initialise a List in Action_Form_B how can i do this as the action i'm
>>currently in only knows about ACTION_FORM_A. I only want to intialise
>>actionforms within a common action i'll have seperate action to deal with
>>submits.
>>
>>I've tried casting the inbound Action Form to type DynaValidator and
>>calling the relevant set methods but this fails as you'd expect as its
>>referencing ACTION_FORM_A only.
>>
>>Next i tried to create a new instance of DynaValidator & called
>>initialise:
>>
>>DynaValidatorForm dynaForm2 = new DynaValidatorForm();
>>dynaForm2.initialize(pMapping);
>>dynaForm2.set("name", "Joe Bloggs";
>>
>>This too fails with a nullpointer... i could forward to another action
>>which prepares the actionform for the next view... is there another way i
>>could do this?

>--
>struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
>Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Container-Managed Authentication <login-config> in web.xml vs.
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml

I use the Tomcat.  I configured the Tomcat JDBCRealm
so that I can use programmic security testing, such as
isUserInRole(), in my program.

Because Tomcat JDBCRealm is form based, I inserted the
<login-config> and its sub-elements in my web.xml file
(see below).  As we know, the <form-login-page> and
<form-error-page> are required.

My question is that the container-managed
authentication does not seem to be consistent with
what we usually do in struts; e.g. we state the
logical name and path for each .jsp page in the
struts-config.xml file.

What is the Struts convention in dealing with user
authentication?  Should we specify the paths for the
logon page and error page in the struts.config.xml or
we should use the <form-login-page> and
<form-error-page> in the web.xml file?

<security-constraint>
   <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>SalesInfo</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/SalesInfo/*</url-pattern>
      <http-method>GET</http-method>
      <http-method>POST</http-method>
   </web-resource-collection>
   <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>manager</role-name>
   </auth-constraint>
   <user-data-constraint>
      <transport-guarantee>NONE</transport-guarantee>
   </user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<login-config>
   <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
   <form-login-config>

<form-login-page>/authentication/login.html</form-login-page>

<form-error-page>/authentication/error.html</form-error-page>
</form-login-config>

</login-config>

<security-role>
   <role-name>manager</role-name>
</security-role>

Message: 6
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:46:09 -0500
   From: "Adam Levine" <ad...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: workflow extension question

Matthias:
   I think I understand your answer.  But, I'm not sure where things would
go.  If I'm understanding your explanation:

process1:wkfl1 -> process1:wkfl2 -> (violation) process2:wkfl1 landing
page(initializer action)

the p2:w1 landing page would be a ForwardNextStateViolationAction
   the FordwardNextStateViolationAction has forwards:
      forward "noNextStateViolation" : goes to display page for p2:w1

but, if there IS a next state violation, here's where I get confused:
   "If a nextState violation was encountered it forwards to the path that
caused this workflow violation "

Which would lead me back to the p2:w1 landing page ?   That confuses me.

Can you explain why this approach is better than just a "i know i want to
end all previous processes at this point, without having to link in with
other violation actions" ?   Or can they co-exist together nicely ?

Thanks for your help.

-- adam

From: Matthias Bauer <ma...@livinglogic.de>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:46:56 +0200

Adam,

there is a solution to your requirement. If I get you right, here is what
you want to do: You are in a modal dialog. If the user clicks on some link
he violates the workflow. The action that violates the workflow should check
whether this is a nextState violation. Upon nextState violation you end all
relevant workflows and forward to the action that caused the workflow
violation.

Here is how you can check whether it is a nextState violation: There is an
action contained in the workflow package that can easily be used for this:
ForwardNextStateViolationAction. Use this class in the action that handles
workflow violations. It chooses the forward "noNextStateViolation", if there
was no nextState violation encountered (i. e. it must have been a prevState
violation). If a nextState violation was encountered it forwards to the path
that caused this workflow violation (this can be an arbitrary action choosen
from your menu). Have a look at the action's code: It uses the method
WorkflowUtils.getNextStateViolationAction that provides the required
information.

Hope this additional info helps.

--- Matthias

Message: 7
   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:12:52 -0500
   From: Matt Raible <MR...@RESORTQUEST.com>
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml

A JDBCRealm can use BASIC authentication - it doesn't require form-based.
Here's an example app that might help you out:

http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SecurityExample

HTH,

Matt

   Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 01:25:21 +0200
   From: Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml

Hi Caroline,
if I remember correctly, it is not possible to use Action servlet
mappings for the login and error pages in tomcat.

I do know for sure that it is recommended practice to keep those pages
seperate programmatically and to view them as part of the container
rather than part of your app. Check the archives for a few threads on
that matter.

Adam

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:47:09 -0700
   From: Igor Shabalov <ig...@exadel.com>
Subject: [ANN] New Eclpse-based Struts Studio 5.0 - must see tool!

Subj! See www.strutsstudio.com

Here is a good new plugin for Eclipse specially designed for Struts and JSP
development.

Key Features:

  * Based on Eclipse Development Platform.
  * Supports both Struts 1.1 (latest version) and Struts 1.0
  * Allows viewing and editing Struts configuration files using Web Flow, a
tool for the visual development of Web applications using a drag-and-
connect metaphor
  * Includes a built-in JSP editor with syntax highlighting, and two-way
coordination with Web Flow
  * Includes a "one-click" library of Struts-specific tags in the built-in
JSP editor
  * Allows editing in Web Flow before finishing JSP coding
  * Integrates with Tomcat Servlet engines for easy preview and running of
Struts applications
  * Integrates with Ant for easy project control
  * Allows to import of pre-existing Struts projects into Exadel Struts
Studio with intelligent auto-placement of the components in Web Flow and
without any modifications required for the existing code
  * Includes a Code Wizard that automatically creates stub code for Action,
FormBean, Forward, and Exception classes
  * Includes standard skeleton templates for new projects
  * Ability to edit templates for new code generation

Best,
Igor Shabalov
www.exadel.com

Message: 10
   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:53:14 -0700
   From: "Max Cooper" <ma...@maxcooper.com>
Subject: Re: data disappearing in jsp

If the missing fields are display-only, you might need to add hidden fields
to carry their values along in the request when the page is submitted so
that they will be available on a validation error.

reset() is called before the ActionForm is populated with the values from
the request, so I don't think it matters what you do to them there. As long
as they are in the request (and the names in the HTML form match your
ActionForm), they should be populated in the ActionForm when a validation
error occurs.

-Max

   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:54:50 -0700
   From: "Max Cooper" <ma...@maxcooper.com>
Subject: Re: error code 404

That is working as designed. The Action (mapping) doesn't exist, so you get
a 404 error. This seems like the appropriate behavior to me.

-Max

   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:32:15 -0700
   From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>

Peter Ondruska wrote:

> On Struts 1.1 with Jetty 4.2.9 "*.do" is mapped to struts action
> servlet. Everything works fine except if requesting unknown action
> e.g. /thisActionDoesNotExistInStrutsConfig.do instead of web.xml
> defined error-page with code 404 I get container supplied code 404
> general error page (as if no error page was defined in web.xml). Is
> this designed functionality in Struts or is it container (Jetty) bug?

What Struts does in this scenario (assuming you don't have
default="true" on any of your <action> elements) is to send an
SC_BAD_REQUEST (equal to 400, not 404) error back to the container -- so
if you want to customize the container's default error page you should
be matching on status code 400.

Craig

Message: 13
   Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:40:26 +1000
   From: "ajay brar" <aj...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Multiple Choices

hi!
ihave a link as
this adds a dynamic string to the link and so you have something like
blah.jsp;jsessionid=fjwdjkfh342lkjl3kj4
however on my webserver, this gives me a 300 Multiple Choices error.
ie i get an error like
Multiple Choices
The document name you requested
(/cinv3/agency.jsp;jsessionid=92A584A32AFDC25FEF6DB8554D5F4D12) could not be
found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the
one you requested.
Available documents:

/cinv3/agency.jsp (common basename)
Please consider informing the owner of the referring page about the broken
link.

is this something to do with my server setting.
similarly, if i have links that with *.do, these give the same error.
i thought that maybe the server isn't calling the ActionServlet, but my
forms work fine(on submit, the appropriate action is called), my view
components(i have an instance of ActionServlet mapped to *.view) also work
fine.

could someone please help.

thanks
ajay

>From: "Max Cooper" <ma...@maxcooper.com>
>Subject: Re: data disappearing in jsp
>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:53:14 -0700
>
>If the missing fields are display-only, you might need to add hidden fields
>to carry their values along in the request when the page is submitted so
>that they will be available on a validation error.
>
>reset() is called before the ActionForm is populated with the values from
>the request, so I don't think it matters what you do to them there. As long
>as they are in the request (and the names in the HTML form match your
>ActionForm), they should be populated in the ActionForm when a validation
>error occurs.
>
>-Max

Message: 14
   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 18:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml

But, I do not want to use BASIC authentication.  I
have many different roles and hundreds of people per
role.  Users' name, role, etc. are stored in a
database.

Message: 15
   Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:47:44 -0700
   From: Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com>
Subject: nested fails when non-nested tag works? why?

Using java 1.4.1 and Struts 1.1 release

I have JSP code like this (it's nested inside a nested:nest:

<nested:root name="homePageForm">
<nested:nest property="customer">
<nested:iterate id="item" property="recommendations">
property="headline"/></p>
</nested:iterate>

which fails with the following:

> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter method for property
> customer.recommendations[0].id
> of bean homePageForm
> at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.lookup(RequestUtils.java:968)
> at
> org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.WriteTag.doStartTag(WriteTag.java:286)
> at
> org.apache.struts.taglib.nested.bean.NestedWriteTag.doStartTag(NestedWr
> iteTag.java:94)

However, if I change the code to this:

<nested:iterate id="item" property="recommendations">
property="headline"/></p>
</nested:iterate>

It renders correctly.

Why is this the case?

TIA,

--
Rick

Message: 16
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:06:50 +0530
   From: krishnamohan <kr...@indosoft.stph.net>

Max,

Thanks for your inputs.  But all the fields are declared as properties in
the form with setters and getters.   These fields are resetted in the
reset() method.   I tried with commenting them in the reset() method, but
this does not seem to solve the problem.  Is this a struts default feature
that on validation errors when the request goes to jsp page, it does not
retain the values of the fields.   This will be tedious for a user, that if
one required field is missed, he has to retype for all other fields.  I
found by debug statements in my formbean that in the validate method, the
values are available but when the jsp page is populated, the values are not
available in the get methods.   What can I do to get them back.

Thanks,
Krishna

> In my jsp page I have 5 fields out of which 2 fields are required.   When
> the jsp is submitted I am displaying the error messages for the required
> fields using Action Error in the form bean's validate method.  When the
jsp
> page is displayed with the error messages, the data for the remaining 3
> fields is disappearing.  Can anyone let me know why this is happening.
In
> the reset method all the fields are made to null.
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

Message: 17
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:13:21 +0800
   From: "virupaksha" <vi...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Object mapping..

Dear All,

Can any one please tell me why we require object mapping with database in
model of MVC architecutre.
my doubt is, we can communicate with database by directly our bean..why we
have to use  object mapping with OJB(Object Relational mapping) or
whatever..i just want to know what is advantages by using object mapping
over normal method..

waiting for ur valuable answers..

Regards & thanks ,

virupaksha

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 18
   Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 08:17:19 +0200
   From: "Peter Ondruska" <pe...@hotmail.com>

I'm sorry I didn't pay attention. The error code Struts returns when action
does not exist is not 404 (No Found) but it is 400 Bad Request. Now if I add
appropriate error page for error code 400 everything works.

 > On Struts 1.1 with Jetty 4.2.9 "*.do" is mapped to struts action servlet.
 > Everything works fine except if requesting unknown action e.g.
 > /thisActionDoesNotExistInStrutsConfig.do instead of web.xml defined
 > error-page with code 404 I get container supplied code 404 general error
 > page (as if no error page was defined in web.xml). Is this designed
 > functionality in Struts or is it container (Jetty) bug?

Message: 19
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:24:48 +1000
   From: hgosper@csc.com.au
Subject: Re: Object mapping..

Why object mapping? It is a design pattern that helps with separation of
concerns in the database application.

Look up Data Access Object in google for more information.

Heya Gosper
CSC Australia
212 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612
Ph: +61 (0) 2 6246 8155  Fax: +61 (0) 2 62468100
MOB: 0401 611779
------------
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.
------------

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 20
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 02:33:10 -0400
   From: "Stephane Grenier" <st...@landlordmax.com>
Subject: ssl question

Hello all.

I can't seem to find the cause of this particular problem. Perhaps someone
can point me in the correct direction.

On my local box I'm using sslext with the url being the ip of the box. I
have no problems going in and out of ssl. The problem has only risen since I
moved to the production box with a domain instead of an ip.

The first issue is that when I do a submit on an ssl form, the return url
removes the "www" from the address and thus my ssl certificate says there is
an error "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match
the name of the site".

The second issue, if I leave the <sslext:pageScheme secure="true" /> in the
jsp, it seems to process forever (or until I get bored and stop the
process).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Stephane

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 21
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 02:40:27 -0400
   From: "Stephane Grenier" <st...@landlordmax.com>
Subject: Re: ssl question

As well, it appears that when <sslext:pageScheme  is set to "false", it acts
as any on the production box. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Stephane

   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:15:47 +0530
   From: "Rohit_Arora" <Ro...@infosys.com>
Subject: Performance constraints

Hello All,
  Can some one help me and tell me abt

--> the performance constraints that come due to the use of struts
framework.
--> the constraints that come due to the use of actionservlet.

--> How does the action servlet take care of multiple requests for the same
web application ?
 Is it that
  -- multiple of instances of the actionservlet come into existence
  or
  -- some kind of multithreading is done in the actionservlet code

--> How the webserver takes care of multiple requests ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Rohit Arora

Message: 23
   Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:02:17 +0800
   From: Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>
Subject: wrapping action invocations

Hi,

Apologies if this is a duplicate, I posted a few days ago but it doesn't
seem to
have made it to the list.

I'd like to introduce a layer between the action servlet and the action
classes
to perform generic processing - authorisation, error handling etc.

I have 2 solutions:

1) subclass the RequestProcessor with generic code in an overridden
processActionPerform method.
2) provide an Action base class, generic code goes in a final implementation
of
the execute method which delegates to an abstract doExecute method.  Each
subclass implements the doExecute method.

or is there some other way of achieving this?

Thanks
Nathan

Message: 24
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:42:10 +0530
   From: "Navjot Singh" <na...@net4india.net>
Subject: RE: Performance constraints

>--> the performance constraints that come due to the use of struts
>framework.
>--> the constraints that come due to the use of actionservlet.

I have hardly noticed nay perf loss on using struts. Naturally, every
framework has some overheads but you got to trade off with the maintence and
scalablity perspective and patternized arch.

>--> How does the action servlet take care of multiple requests for
>the same web application ?

There will be only 1 ActionServlet instance. Any request that's coming to
webserver will be forwarded to ActionServlet. ActionServlet tries to assign
one Action instance from the pool. If it's not there, the new Action
instance will be created and assigned to the request.

HTH
Navjot Singh

Message: 25
   Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:54:35 +0530
   From: "Navjot Singh" <na...@net4india.net>
Specifying Paths in the struts-config.xml

you may wish to look upon JAAS if you have so many diff roles and user per
roles.

Anyway, struts lets you specify role atrribute (that takes comma sep values,
i guess)
for each action. If you can extend RequestProcess class and modify the
processRoles() method so you can redirect to any page if the roles are not
valid for that action. etc etc..

Struts,using decalrative roles, tried to make things easier in term sof less
programming efforts and easiness to manage roles . Rest i can't see much
diff. Any opinions?

HTH
Navjot Singh