Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sandy Flint <SF...@SandyFlint.com> on 2002/09/05 23:12:52 UTC

[users@httpd] html directories - confused

This is probably a simple question, but I looked at the FAQ and the documentation - and read in some of the third party books I have..and now I am just confused.

I have a website at URL:     www.mysite.com

and I want to make a "sub-site" available in a subdirectory of that site.

example.  www.mysite.com  directory is /websites/mysite/  and I want to make www.mysite.com/sub1  (which is in directory /websites/mystie/sub1/)  a working URL.  The html file is index.html.

Now this works if the user types www.mysite.com/sub1/   but does not work if they leave off the trailing /.  I understand why this is - but am confused as to the correct solution for making this work no matter how they type it.  I also find that the URL is case sensitive - and I would like to fix that as well. (i,e, ..mysite.com/Sub1  or ..mysite.com/sub1)

Should I be using directives or an alias?  I see lots of examples for alias sites with different IP addresses etc (and I am doing that now) and have played with the directive option, but don't seem to be getting it to work.

I would appreciate any pointers, examples, or suggestions.

TIA

Sandy Flint
Houston, TX

Re: [users@httpd] html directories - confused

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
Hi Sandy,

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 04:12:52PM -0500, Sandy Flint wrote:
> Now this works if the user types www.mysite.com/sub1/   but does not work if they leave off the trailing /.  I understand why this is - but am confused as to the correct solution for making this work no matter how they type it.  I also find that the URL is case sensitive - and I would like to fix that as well. (i,e, ..mysite.com/Sub1  or ..mysite.com/sub1)

To fix the first problem, you'll need to put "UseCanonicalName Off" in the
appropriate part of your configuration.  If we're talking about a
VirtualHost here, you can just put it somewhere inside the <VirtualHost>
block - otherwise, anywhere in the main server configuration.

Regarding case insensitive URLs, take a look at this entry in the FAQ:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ-H.html#rewrite-nocase

HTH,

Zac