Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2012/05/30 13:24:56 UTC

Discussion: Using Javolution (was: jdk7 feature that might be good for ofbiz)

I am reposting this thread with a different subject to make sure
everyone interested has a chance to comment.

To summarize (and to make sure we are all on the same page):

1. Javolution was added to the project in the JDK 1.4 days. David Jones
ran some performance tests that demonstrated a performance boost when
using Javolution Fast* classes instead of java.util.* classes.
2. Javolution acheived this performance boost by eliminating some
garbage collection. The Fast* classes use object pools - where objects
are returned to the pool when they are unused instead of being garbage
collected.
3. JDK 1.5 introduced an improved garbage collector that eliminated the
long pauses caused by previous garbage collectors. Also, it introduced
the java.util.concurrent package - which is functionally similar to
Javolution's concurrency. When OFBiz switched to the JDK 1.5
requirement, the need for Javolution was eliminated - but it was kept in
the project anyway.
4. No performance tests have been executed recently to see what kind of
impact removing Javolution will have.
5. In the attached thread I recommend removing Javolution from object
fields that are effectively static (either declared static or a field of
an object that is cached indefinitely), because the pooled object is
never returned to the pool - defeating the purpose of the library.
6. In the attached thread Adam suggests removing Javolution entirely.

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Using Javolution

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
On 05/30/2012 06:24 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
> I am reposting this thread with a different subject to make sure
> everyone interested has a chance to comment.
>
> To summarize (and to make sure we are all on the same page):
>
> 1. Javolution was added to the project in the JDK 1.4 days. David
> Jones ran some performance tests that demonstrated a performance boost
> when using Javolution Fast* classes instead of java.util.* classes.
> 2. Javolution acheived this performance boost by eliminating some
> garbage collection. The Fast* classes use object pools - where objects
> are returned to the pool when they are unused instead of being garbage
> collected.
> 3. JDK 1.5 introduced an improved garbage collector that eliminated
> the long pauses caused by previous garbage collectors. Also, it
> introduced the java.util.concurrent package - which is functionally
> similar to Javolution's concurrency. When OFBiz switched to the JDK
> 1.5 requirement, the need for Javolution was eliminated - but it was
> kept in the project anyway.
> 4. No performance tests have been executed recently to see what kind
> of impact removing Javolution will have.
> 5. In the attached thread I recommend removing Javolution from object
> fields that are effectively static (either declared static or a field
> of an object that is cached indefinitely), because the pooled object
> is never returned to the pool - defeating the purpose of the library.
> 6. In the attached thread Adam suggests removing Javolution entirely.

7: In JDK 1.6, escape analysis is used to figure out that some objects
can be directly allocated on the stack, instead of the heap.  Using
pooled objects precludes this.

When using EntityCondition pooled objects, where the condition will
eventually be frozen and used as a key in a cache, it makes no sense
really to pool it at all.

When doing the actual query, escape analysis *might* detect that the
condition could be allocated on the stack(it'd have to look at several
deep method calls).

Re: Discussion: Using Javolution

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I do think it's definitely worthwhile trying this out.  Looking at the history of javolution on their main page[1], they don't appear to have made much in the way of changes for at least 2 years and possibly up to 5, meanwhile the JDK/JVM continues to progress.

I was expecting to check the site and see that it was time for us to upgrade the library before doing any comparisons but things seem pretty stagnant.

Regards
Scott

[1] http://javolution.org/

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: Discussion: Using Javolution (was: jdk7 feature that might be good for ofbiz)

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.