Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alexy Khrabrov <de...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/22 04:09:17 UTC

two versions of a compiler

I'd like to be able to compile my project with either Scala 2.7.5 or
2.8.  There's a property scala.version saying which.  How can I
maintain the setup where I don't have to edit pom.xml but rather have
two ready configurations?

Cheers,
Alexy

Re: two versions of a compiler

Posted by Alexy Khrabrov <de...@gmail.com>.
OK, so here's the issue of maintaining two project versions for two
versions of Scala, which produce incompatible classes.  I decided to
deploy them separately -- Scala 2.7.x will produce versions such as
2.7.5-1.0, and under Scala 2.8.x, I'll have 2.8.0-1.0.

So, in my pom, at least those things will differ:
-- scala.version property
-- prefixes of versions of all dependencies

The sources themselves will differ in very few places.  Now how can I
use inheritance of poms and what else for least redundant versioning?

Posted by Alexy Khrabrov <de...@gmail.com>.
The additional difficulty is that Scala 2.8 is binary incompatible
with 2.7 -- so I'd like to maintain two directories with two versions
of all compiled files, without recompiling everything all the time,
preferably.  I might use git branches...

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
you can use Maven Profile to perform conditional build, you can place
profile(s) in settings.xml as mentioned by Mick,
but usually it should be in your pom.xml since it is quite difficult
to have developer to modify his/her settings.xml

-D

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.
Put it into the settings.xml

---