Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu> on 2016/01/22 16:10:18 UTC

move/retire a couple of ACE sub-projects

Hi,

I’ve picked up some work on ACE recently, and see a couple of sub-projects
that are not directly part of the “core” of ACE but augment its functionality
in certain ways for specific use cases. These sub-projects are:

- org.apache.ace.ant.tasks ::
  this project provides an Ant task for creating a deployment package from
  Ant; I’m not sure it works out of the box as it relies on another bundle
  that is not embedded;
- org.apache.ace.location.upnp ::
  this project provides a UPnP compatible location service; not sure it
  works out of the box;
- org.apache.ace.log.server.store.mongo ::
  this is part of the `org.apache.ace.log` project and provides you a way
  of storing ACE logs in MongoDB. Not sure if we want to support this form
  of log storage out of the box;
- org.apache.ace.nodelauncher ::
  this project could be used to automatically deploy distributions to (new)
  targets in AWS. Not sure if it still works with AWS;
- org.apache.ace.processlauncher ::
  provides the ability to spawn new processes on targets by means of
  supplying configurations.

Unless somebody has compelling arguments to keep one or more of these project
in the “core” of ACE, I’d like to move the code of these projects to a sandbox
to reduce the clutter in our source repository.

WDYT?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is something with Amdatu and Apache

Luminis Technologies
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ  Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00

https://www.luminis.eu

KvK (CoC) 09 16 28 93
BTW (VAT) NL8170.94.441.B.01

Re: move/retire a couple of ACE sub-projects

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: move/retire a couple of ACE sub-projects

Posted by Paul Bakker <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan Willem,

I have done work on the org.apache.ace.log.server.store.mongo and org.apache.ace.nodelauncher in the past. I think both are no longer relevant.
The mongo log storage was an idea to use ACE as a central log store for application logs. That didn't work out very well, and I would be surprised if the component is still used somewhere. +1 for removing it.

The nodelauncher was created with the idea to make ACE also a cloud cluster manager. This idea was never implemented beyond the trivial use case of starting single servers, and I think we've moved away from the whole idea a long time ago. So another +1 to remove this component.

Cheers,

Paul

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.
Hi all,

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 17:32, Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu> wrote:
>
>> On 22 Jan 2016, at 16:10, Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Unless somebody has compelling arguments to keep one or more of these project
>> in the “core” of ACE, I’d like to move the code of these projects to a sandbox
>> to reduce the clutter in our source repository.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I’ve heard nobody frantically replying that there is a real need for the mentioned
> projects to be part of “core” ACE. I will therefore proceed tomorrow with moving them
> to a separate location, probably my own sandbox on Subversion.

I’ve moved the aforementioned projects to my `ace-extra` sandbox (see [1]). This
actually is a valid Bnd(tools) workspace, so you can check it out from Subversion
and use it directly as workspace.

1. https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ace/sandbox/jawi/ace-extra

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.
Hi all,