Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matthias Kräuter <m....@exxcellent.de> on 2002/11/27 08:53:04 UTC

Unknown Fromatting Object null^null

Hello,

my old problem still exists. The stacktrace now shows line numbers but I
don´t think it helps very much. I tried newer versions of Xalan (2.4D1)
and Xerces (2.1.0) but nothing changed. My supplied Document  is not
read from file but a transformation result in memory. I than inserted a
document fragment with an fo:table into it with database data. Could
there be a problem with the namespace of this  fragment?

The stacktrace:

 [reports] [ERROR] Unknown formatting object null^null

UILD FAILED
ava.lang.NullPointerException
       at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:238)
       at org.apache.fop.tools.DocumentReader.parse(DocumentReader.java:444)
       at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:469)
       at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:489)
       at cmp.Report.execute(Report.java:581)
       at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:334)
       at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
       at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1250)
       at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:196)

My source code looks like that:
                 Driver driver = new Driver();
                 driver.setRenderer(driver.RENDER_PDF);

                File pdfFile = new File("report.pdf");
                driver.setOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(pdfFile));

                driver.render(pdfDoc);

                driver.run();

pdfDoc is a DOM Document.

My .fo Document with the inserted table:

        <fo:table>
                <fo:table-column
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
                <fo:table-column
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
                <fo:table-column
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
                <fo:table-column
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
                <fo:table-column
column-width="proportional-column-width(1)"/>
                <fo:table-header>
        </fo:table>
  </fo:root>

Re: Unknown Fromatting Object null^null

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 27.11.2002 08:53:04 Matthias Kräuter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my old problem still exists. The stacktrace now shows line numbers but I
> don´t think it helps very much. I tried newer versions of Xalan (2.4D1)
> and Xerces (2.1.0) but nothing changed. My supplied Document  is not
> read from file but a transformation result in memory. I than inserted a
> document fragment with an fo:table into it with database data. Could
> there be a problem with the namespace of this  fragment?

Aha. You could be on the right track. Does it work if you don't include
the table from the database? (bugfinding using exclusion)

Do I get you right? You're generating an FO file as a DOM in some way
and then include a FO fragment built from database data in the DOM?
Isn't that a bit too awful to do? The basic FO file is generated from an
XML via XSLT? Have you tried to supply the DOM as parameter to the XSL
transformation?

Maybe Cocoon is something you should look at.

Your code below doesn't show how you construct the DOM and that's what's
most interesting here.

> The stacktrace:
>
>  [reports] [ERROR] Unknown formatting object null^null
>
> UILD FAILED
> ava.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:238)
>        at org.apache.fop.tools.DocumentReader.parse(DocumentReader.java:444)
>        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:469)
>        at org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.render(Driver.java:489)
>        at cmp.Report.execute(Report.java:581)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:317)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:309)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:334)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1250)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:610)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:196)
>        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java:235)
>
> My source code looks like that:
>                  Driver driver = new Driver();
>                  driver.setRenderer(driver.RENDER_PDF);
>
>                 File pdfFile = new File("report.pdf");
>                 driver.setOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(pdfFile));
>
>                 driver.render(pdfDoc);
>
>                 driver.run();
>
> pdfDoc is a DOM Document.

Jeremias Maerki