Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com> on 2002/11/06 16:21:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory help need by newbie

I have a directory I need people to be able to download files from with no
problems I just don't want them to be able to upload to this directory im
sure there is away to do this I just need to be pointed in the right
direction to get this to work ASAP

                                                    Thanks
                                                         Dale

Re: [users@httpd] Directory help need by newbie

Posted by Luis Moreira <la...@bes.pt>.
It really seems as if you want to protect yourself from FTP usage, not HTTP access.
If people use your page through http, then the directory is READ FROM and not WROTE TO.
If you have an FTP server, then you should configure the login name to be able to just read and even to write only to certain directories.
Do you have an FTP server running ? If so, which one, and which OS are you using.

Luis

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com>.
Hi,

Please explain in SHORT sentences what is going wrong.
I don't understand it anymore.
btw: 'spread sheet', 'write'

Met vriendelijke groet,

Koen Vingerhoets

***** UBench nv *****
http://www.ubench.com
The information contained in this electronic mail message is privileged and
confidential,
and is intended only for use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure,reproduction, distribution or other
use of this
communication is strictly prohibited.

by reply
transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

Posted by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com>.
I am looking at MS.com now for any patches or updates sorry I was so
confusing in the start
I believe it is office trying to by-pass apache settings
I am not aloud to use Linux for servers here campus EIT don't support it :(
Posted by Diego Cimarosti <cd...@rete039.it>.

Posted by Diego Cimarosti <cd...@rete039.it>.
I'm still not sure.
Students download the spread sheet to use it as a template, and then write
it back on the webserver once they have filled it in?

If that's the thing, I guess you shuold make a directory for download only
(read access) and one for upload. You shuold create a script that renames
or move files once they are written in the destination directory, so that
filenames don't overlap causing rewrites. Or you could create password
protected directories for every student, but it's a bit long (depends on
number of students :) and you will end up with files spread in many dirs
(which could be moved by a script, as well).

This is my idea, if I got the problem right.
Anyway I think apache (or a webserver in general) is not the right
application for this purpose. An application server could help, but would
increase complexity a lot.

Diego

Posted by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com>.

Posted by Diego Cimarosti <cd...@rete039.it>.

Posted by Diego Cimarosti <cd...@rete039.it>.
Well, you surely need to use some commas and dots. It's quite hard to
understand the problem you are experiencing...

Diego

Posted by rott <ro...@buckeye-express.com>.

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com>.
I need to know ASAP what OS you use so I can help you out and maybe even
give a solution that is ofcourse after i know what OS you use because
without that knowledge

Koen