Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by sridhar77 <sr...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/05 15:24:01 UTC

Service Grid vs Service Registry like Eureka/Consul

Hi,

I want to know more about Service Grid feature in Ignite.

Is this something similar to Service Registry like Eureka or Consul for load
balancing.

What is the use case of Service Grid.

Can it be considered as a alternative option to using a separate Service
Registry like Eureka or Consul.

Thanks,
Sridhar

Re: Service Grid vs Service Registry like Eureka/Consul

Posted by vkulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Eureka and Service Grid are different beasts. Main use case for Service Grid
is deploying long running service instances on the cluster (a REST server
for example) with SLAs on number of these instances. If a node fails, Ignite
guarantees that all service that were running on this node will be
redeployed.

I recommend to take a look at Compute Grid [1] instead. It provides dynamic
class loading, load balancing and automatic failover. Should be enough to
build micro services like architecture.

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/compute-grid

-Val

Re: Service Grid vs Service Registry like Eureka/Consul

Posted by sridhar77 <sr...@gmail.com>.
I am not clear on what type of services can be scaled when using Service
Grid.

The docs talk about, Custom Counters, Hierarchical Maps, ID Generators etc
as some type of services.

In my scenario, i have multiple business micro services implemented using
the Spring Boot framework.

Does the Service Grid help in scaling each of these micro services based on
the load.

Basically, based on the load or some suitable algorithm would they
instantiate and deploy an instance of a micro service so that failover is
avoided ,without impacting the client.

In a typical scenario, when a Service Registry like Eureka is being used,
each and every service will register with the service registry and also
periodically send a heartbeat so that they remain active.

 Is that sort of functionality provided when using Service grid.

Can we consider using Service Grid instead of a Service Registry like Eureka
for scaling and load-balancing of micro services.

Re: Service Grid vs Service Registry like Eureka/Consul

Posted by sridhar77 <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I am trying to understand what type of services they would be.

In the examples on ignite docs, i see counter service as one example.

Can they be business services. In our environment we are considering using
spring cloud eureka as a service registry for scalability and load
balancing.

Instead of eureka can we use service grid. How will a client be able to
lookup a service to obtain service metadata to execute the methods of
service.

On 6 Oct 2016 01:44, "vkulichenko [via Apache Ignite Users]" <
ml-node+s70518n8107h88@n6.nabble.com> wrote:

> Sridhar,
>
> Service grid allows to execute an instance or instances of a services
somewhere on the cluster and get access to this service from a client via
proxy. It also maintains the required number of running instances in case
of node failures. E.g., if it's a cluster singleton there will be one only
instance of the service running. If the node where is service is deployed
fails, it will be automatically redeployed on another node.