Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by James Malone <ja...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/06/06 15:29:15 UTC

[PROPOSAL] New Beam website design?

Hello everyone!

The current design of the Apache Beam website[1] is based on the a basic
Bootstrap/Jekyll theme. While this made getting an initial site out quickly
pretty easy, the site itself is a little bland (in my opinion :). I propose
we create a new design (layout templates, color schemes, visual design) for
the Beam website.

Since the website is currently using Bootstrap and Jekyll, this should be a
relatively easy process. Getting this done will require a new design and
some CSS/HTML work. Additionally, before a design is put in place, I think
it makes sense to discuss any ideas about a future design first.

So, I think there are two open questions behind this proposal:

1. Is there anyone within the community who would be interested in creating
a design proposal or two and sharing them with the community?
2. Are there any ideas, opinions, and thoughts around what the design of
the site *should* be?

What does everyone think?

Cheers!

James

[1]: http://beam.incubator.apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New Beam website design?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi James,

just to let you know that I did good progress on the website mockup.

I should be able to propose a PR very soon.

Thanks for your patience ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New Beam website design?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Great, I will definitely. Thanks !

I'm improving the CSS, and testing live with Jekyll. Hopefully, I will
be able to propose a pull request soon.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] New Beam website design?

Posted by James Malone <ja...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi

Posted by Frances Perry <fj...@google.com.INVALID>.
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Just because the thread got bumped... I kind of miss the old bucket of
> technical docs. They aren't user-facing, but I used it quite a lot. Perhaps
> instead of deleting it, move from "Learn" to "Contribute" or bury it
> somewhere near the bottom of the contributors' guide?

My thinking in pull/42 is that the shared Google Drive folder morphs into a
combination of additional webpages / direct links in the contributor hub
with the well known / agreed on information (always kept up to date) and
the new proposal workflow in jira to make ongoing designs easily
discoverable. The benefits over a single shared folder are that (1) there
are no additional permissions to wrangle, (2) it makes everything available
from a single place instead of organizing information based on what format
it's in, and (3) we are less likely to end up with a bucket of outdated
information. But given that it will take us a while to things moved around,
I'll add it in pull/42.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by James Malone <ja...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi all!