Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Philip Dodds <Ph...@unity-systems.com> on 2005/04/25 21:19:35 UTC

XPathAPI setting variables

   I have been trying to set variables for use on an XPathAPI.execute(...),
   I realize that I can get the XPathContext and from there get the
   VariableStack,  however I'm not exactly sure how to use this?

   I was hoping to be able to place a variable on the stack though looking
   through the code this seems to be handled though use of the StylesheetRoot
   returning a vector then updating the VariableStack?  I'm a little lost on
   why methods don't exist in the VariableStack for adding a variable.

   Is there a way to set up the VariableStack to add a variable
   programmatically based on the result of an XPath?  In other words creating
   an XObject and then giving it a QName and placing it on the stack so I can
   re-use this on the XPathAPI?

   Cheers

   Philip

Re: XPathAPI setting variables

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Philip.

"Philip Dodds" <Ph...@unity-systems.com> wrote on 2005-04-25
03:19:35 PM:
> Is there a way to set up the VariableStack to add a variable
> programmatically based on the result of an XPath?  In other words
> creating an XObject and then giving it a QName and placing it on the
> stack so I can re-use this on the XPathAPI?

     The XPath API of JAXP 1.3 includes an XPathVariableResolver interface
that allows one to supply the value of a variable for XPath expression
evaluation.  Once there is a release of Xalan-Java that includes support
for JAXP 1.3, that should solve your problem.  Do you need a solution in
the interim?

Thanks,

Henry
Henry Zongaro      Xalan development