Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org> on 2015/07/20 14:39:14 UTC

oak-run 50MB

Hello folks,

oak-run is 50MB+. Shall we look into how to potentially split what this
module provides in something more precise and maybe delete some parts no
longer used/supported?

Off the top of my head oak-run provides:

- utility tools for segment, mongo and datastore
- micro benchmarking
- scalability benchmarking
- rough http server

So the question is: shall we look into the details for splitting it into
smaller modules? I don't think oak-run is an appropriate name either.

Davide

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 11/12/2015 09:30, Michael Dürig wrote:
> >...I will file separate tickets for the actual actions, around moving
> each
>> individual functionality to own bundle if no one will object.
>
> +1, good having someone driving this.

Please all, have a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3134 and children tickets for
individual actions. Amend as needed if you see it fits.

One questions left on the topic: shall we remove/deprecate the "Server"
functionality? Is there anyone using it?

Cheers
Davide

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 10.12.15 11:38 , Davide Giannella wrote:
> On 22/07/2015 10:23, Davide Giannella wrote:
>> On 20/07/2015 14:12, Julian Sedding wrote:
>>> +1 It sounds sensible to split this up. It seems that it has evolved
>>> into a collection of functionality that shares mostly the fact that
>>> they are run on the command line. I would like to see the logic used
>>> to bootstrap various Oak setups based on command line parameters to be
>>> extracted and re-used.
>> I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3134 to keep
>> track of an initial investigation.
>>
>> Can I ask everyone to jump on it adding their own knowledge and suggestions?
>>

> As we're speaking of modularisation I'm reviving this thread.  Please
> see the ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3134 for details.
>
> I will file separate tickets for the actual actions, around moving each
> individual functionality to own bundle if no one will object.

+1, good having someone driving this.

Michael

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 11/12/2015 09:31, Michael Dürig wrote:

> +1, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-2847.

I've turned OAK-2847 into Epic and moved OAK-3766 as actual action of
it. We have to decide when we want to do this :)

Davide

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 11/12/2015 07:29, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could we get rid of unused stuff? Like Hadoop (7 MB!). Do we need Solr
> (2.3 MB), Tika, Zookeeper, Jetty, H2 (the SQL part)? Do we need the
> Jackrabbit remoting stuff? I guess we need Groovy (4 MB) and Lucene (4 MB).
>
> Of those 50MB, just 8% is Oak, and the rest is dependencies.

thanks for the investigation Thomas. Filed
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3766.

IMO if the dependency is not used, simply remove it. It can be added
later on if there will be the need.

Cheers
Davide

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Re: oak-run 50MB

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.
+1 It sounds sensible to split this up. It seems that it has evolved
into a collection of functionality that shares mostly the fact that
they are run on the command line. I would like to see the logic used
to bootstrap various Oak setups based on command line parameters to be
extracted and re-used.

Regards
Julian