Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com> on 2009/04/09 09:16:08 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Katta 0.5 released

(...apologies for the cross posting...)

Release 0.5 of Katta is now available.
Katta - Lucene in the cloud.
http://katta.sourceforge.net

This release fixes bugs from 0.4, including one that sorted the
results wrong under load.
0.5 also upgrades to Zookeeper to version 3.1.,  Lucene to version
2.4.1 and hadoop 0.19.0.

The new API supports Lucene Query objects instead of just Strings,
adds support for Amazon EC2,
switched to Ant and Ivy as a build system and some more minor
improvements.
Also, we improved our online documentation and added sample code that
illustrates how to create a sharded Lucene index with Hadoop.

See changes at
http://oss.101tec.com/jira/browse/KATTA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel

Binary distribution is available at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/katta/

Stefan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hadoop training and consulting
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
http://www.101tec.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Katta 0.5 released

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hi Steve,

I dont like sitting a build system, so I like convention over
configuration. Maven sounds good for that, but after many years being
a maven fan I just could not understand why essential plugins are
still so buggy and why I have to spend so much energy when I want to
customize something.  Obviously maven describes the project, it is not
a build script. Also I like dependency management.
Gradle will be a great build tool. It has conventions over
configuration it uses java syntax (groovy) to write the build scrip,
has dependency management etc. It is actually really cool but we
adapted it too early.
It had bugs that blocked our productivity.
Now we are back at ant and use ivy for dependency management. Ivy isnt
great documented but works pretty solid for us. Ant is solid though I
dont like to writing scripts in a declarative language - xml and also
ants multi projects build capabilities aren't the greatest. Anyhow we
decided for ant since it is a solid working horse.

Stefan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Stefan,

On 4/9/2009 at 3:16 AM, Stefan Groschupf wrote:
> Release 0.5 of Katta is now available.

Congratulations on the release!

> [...] switched to Ant and Ivy as a build system [...]

AFAICT, the build previously was performed with Maven 2 - is there a public discussion available anywhere concerning this switch?  (I looked and couldn't find anything.)  If there's no public discussion available, can you say a few words about the rationale behind the switch?

Thanks,
Steve