Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jeff Keyser <JK...@telocity.com> on 2002/03/02 16:23:56 UTC

RE: Switch off unwanted services

I asked a similar question a while ago, when I wanted to disable POP3.  As
far as I can tell, the answer is, "no, you can't."

However, what I did was bind the POP3 service to address 127.0.0.1.  It
doesn't prevent it from loading into memory, but it does prevent access to
it from the network.  BTW - I did the same thing with "remotemanager."

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I just want to confirm that there is a way to disable individual services.
It involves rather minor changes to 3 conf files, but I only vaguely
remember how.  Now that we've got the FAQ page, we can put those steps to
disable POP, SMTP, and/or NNTP up there once a knowing contributor assembles
the instructions.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/