Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Matthew Campbell <hy...@hyperworks.nu> on 2006/03/04 21:16:48 UTC

Getting invovled ?

I've started to use log4cxx and log4net and I've noticed they are generally
far behind log4j, missing stuff like smtp appenders, zip file compression on
logs etc.. I'm wondering how I can help, I know some projects have a list of
things people can help on and the best way to send changes etc..Should I
just go at missing stuff and post diffs on the list? Or what?

~Matt

--
If video games influenced youth, all the kids who played Pac-Man would spend
all their time walking around in dark rooms listening to electronic music

Re: Getting invovled ?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Mar 4, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> I've started to use log4cxx and log4net and I've noticed they are
> generally far behind log4j, missing stuff like smtp appenders, zip
> file compression on logs etc.. I'm wondering how I can help, I know
> some projects have a list of things people can help on and the best
> way to send changes etc..Should I just go at missing stuff and post
> diffs on the list? Or what?
>
> ~Matt

Welcome.

Some general notes of contributing to Apache projects appear at the
following links:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html

You should be aware of any copyright claims that your employer may
have on your work, particularly if you contribute code that was
developed on your company's time or equipment.  Any significant
contribution would require your submitting a signed contributor
license agreement  (http://www.apache.org/licenses/) and potentially
your employer signing a corporate contributor license agreement.  You
should at least review the contributor license agreement to ensure
that you would be able to sign one if we asked before accepting your
code.

Any contributions should be filed as a bug in the log4cxx bug
database (http://issues.apache.org/jira).  There will be a checkbox
for you to indicate that your contribution is intended to be
contributed to the ASF.

The bug databases are the best way to see our current task and/or
wish list.  If there is a bug that you'd like to work on, either
comment on the bug or send a message to the -dev mailing list to
discuss your intentions before sinking much time on the issue.  If
there is a feature that you'd like, add a bug report for it and get a
discussion started on the -dev mailing list.

The intention is to have unit tests for any new code or bug fixes and
to keep the log4cxx and log4j test suites aligned.  If you are
considering porting over a feature from log4j, I would recommend that
you review the log4j unit tests for that feature and submit
additional log4j unit tests to hit uncovered areas.  On request, I
can provide coverage analysis reports on log4j.   Then port the unit
tests and code over to log4cxx.

If possible, use the Apache Portable Runtime in preference to rolling
your own platform abstraction.

Listen in on the mailing lists, read the archives, ask questions and
speak up.