Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com> on 2013/04/04 01:38:04 UTC

RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Hey Guys,

I posted a version of the Apache CloudStack logo with the TM in the comments of the link below.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Trademark+Guidelines+%28DRAFT%29?focusedCommentId=30760434&#comment-30760434

Did we still want to keep the open source cloud computing tagline?

Let me know.

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems – CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Some of the other branding documentation could be useful, both as a
starting point for this effort, and as something we can/should consider
linking to, as a foundational policy that we are building on.

Specifically, for third-parties:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/merchandise.html

And for us:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/responsibility
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/reporting.html

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Joe - the font is AvenirLTStd-Heavy. I can upload the font file on the wiki.

Before you upload that - what are the terms of use/redistribution for the font?

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:56:13PM -0700, Karen Vuong wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Sorry for the delay on this one. I've created the Apache CloudStack logo with the cloudmonkey. Please take a look here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Graphics+and+Resources
>
> The vector format of the cloudmonkey is located here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=30760149. The vector format of the Apache CloudStack logo with the Cloud Monkey is also located there.
>
> I would welcome any feedback or suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karen

+1 to this.  I'll add these to our svn repo and link from our trademark
guidelines [1] in a few.

[1]

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:56:13PM -0700, Karen Vuong wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Sorry for the delay on this one. I've created the Apache CloudStack logo with the cloudmonkey. Please take a look here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Graphics+and+Resources
>>
>> The vector format of the cloudmonkey is located here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=30760149. The vector format of the Apache CloudStack logo with the Cloud Monkey is also located there.
>
> Is the EPS file the vector format?  Any chance we can get an SVG for
> consistency?
>
> -chip

convert is your friend.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Cool, thanks Karen!
>>
>> We might want to consider sticking these in a repository somewhere, so we
>> can version them.
>>

> I placed the logos in svn (/cloudstack/media/)
>
> Unless someone vehemently objects, I intend on purging all of the
> logos on that wiki page, particularly since there are logos that we
> don't want used. I'll wait a few days before doing that, since purging
> attachments is destructive in the wiki.
> I am also (again, unless there is an outcry) going to strip the
> 'draft' title from that document.
>
> Karen/Sonny: I don't see cloudmonkey graphics, nor do I see
> compinations of the logo plus the cloudmonkey logo - and I am not
> aware of source.
>
> --David

This is done.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
+1

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Cool, thanks Karen!

--
NS

RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
+!

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Thanks for the feedback. For the logo, I'll capitalize the "A" in Apache since the "C" and "S" will be capitalized in CloudStack and make the grey 'TM' smaller. I'll post the updated logo on the wiki shortly.

Best regards,

Karen

Posted by Kimihiko Kitase <Ki...@citrix.co.jp>.
Looks great. I like Apache CloudStack with / without tagline.
And I think we need one more, Apache CloudStack with tagline with "monkey".

Thanks
Kimi

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
I like it a lot, very nice!

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Hi Joe,

Is this the version that is closest to the original artwork for the CloudStack logo? https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Draft+-+CloudStack+Community+Events+Plan under 'CloudStack Logo Usage', file: cloudstack_logo.eps.

If not, can you point me to the version of the logo that is closest to the original artwork? I have different types of Avenir fonts so I can find the same thickness as that version.

I'll keep it as 'apache cloudstack' - all lowercase, since the logo has always been without caps. It wouldn't look right if we capitalized the 'A'.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Karen

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013, at 07:05 PM, Karen Vuong wrote:
> > I've incorporated all the feedback and posted two versions of the Apache
> > CloudStack logos on the wiki. There is one with the tagline, "open source
> > cloud computing" and one without. If this looks good, then I can also
> > provide the source files in vector format.
>

> So, my bad - the word has always been spelled "CloudStack" but the logo
> has always been without caps.
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Trademark+Guidelines+(DRAFT)?focusedCommentId=31818375&#comment-31818375
>
> Are we missing original artwork that's been used for the logo? I ask
> because I'm looking at older versions and it seems that the weight of
> the typeface is a bit thicker than in the new versions here - and in the
> old version the "stack" is thicker than "cloud".
>
> /me wonders whether it'd be a good idea to also open the floor to a new
> logo design.

We have an SVG of the logo in the brand package - that's the closest to
original artwork that I know of.
I don't think the difference in thickness is evident there. That artwork
dates back to 2011 I think.

Look at the original brand stuff to make sure.

--David

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Kelly Hair <ke...@citrix.com>.
Same - Capital C & capital S.  Otherwise, could be confused for a generic
"cloud stack".

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

Joe - the font is AvenirLTStd-Heavy. I can upload the font file on the wiki.

David - I have the source graphics. However, it is a PSD file and not in vector format. I also have the source file for the Apache CloudStack logo in vector format but I just need to add the grey 'TM.' I'm proficient with Photoshop but not so much with Adobe Illustrator. But, I will give it a shot today and see if I can figure it out. It shouldn't be too hard :) Once the vector format files are ready, I'll upload both versions (one with the tagline and one without) and the font file on the wiki.

Best regards,

Karen

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Oddly I visually like the second one, but understand the intent of the
bottom one. I still think the 'TM' is to large (Font-Size).

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Karen

I prefer the last one

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I prefer the size of the "TM" in the first version, and the colour of the
"TM" in the last version.

I'd be interested in seeing what the logo looks like with capital "A" and
"C" in "Apache Cloudstack" but if this has been discussed, or this is a
bikeshed then just ignore I ever mentioned anything. ;)

I think as long as our logotype is as long as it is, it makes sense to
include the strapline like we do there. (Perhaps making it optional? I
don't know whether it's good practice to pick just one version of a logo
and stick to it.)

Also, no harm in uploading Photoshop files also. (Though an SVG would be
good too.) But we should be careful about the fonts, as other people have
noted.

--
NS

RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.

Posted by Kimihiko Kitase <Ki...@citrix.co.jp>.
Inline reply

+1 with this idea.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 10:35:38AM -0400, Eric Schlesinger wrote:
> Inline comments

Except that the community has adopted the CloudMonkey image as a
"mascot".  We should continue to support it's use.

Posted by Eric Schlesinger <es...@proteuseng.com>.
Inline comments

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Don't worry about what Hadoop or Cassandra are doing. It's better if we
just try to stick to the branding policy and work out what makes sense for
us.

--
NS

RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

The ASF policy on this should come in handy here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Specifically:

"Logos are important to recognize as trademarks as well. For the project's official logo (if it has one, and especially if it uses the ASF feather), ensure that it includes a small "TM" symbol in the graphic or immediately adjacent to it. For pages that include the project logo on them, ensure you mention "... and the Project logo are trademarks..." in the attribution."

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

RE: [DISCUSS] Draft trademark guidelines