Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Colin D Bennett <cb...@radsoft.com> on 2002/09/10 16:02:25 UTC

Displaying SVN revision number on version info

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 08:43 am, Kevin Pilch-Bisson wrote:
> Note that Dylan's svn --version output said 0.14.2-dev which is not the
> same as 0.14.2.  The -dev implies that it came from a working copy, not a
> tarball, so all we can say for sure is that the client was built sometime
> after 0.14.2.

Why not show the SVN revision number on the svn --version display? I have no
way of knowing what build of Subversion I'm using unless I put it in a
directory based on the revision, or just try to remember what it was. I've
given it some thought of adding this feature myself, but I thought there
might be a reason it hasn't been done yet, so I wanted to ask ahead of time.

The only downside to this would be if the whole svn wc tree wasn't updated to
the same revision, the number wouldn't indicate the true version, but
otherwise it would. Better than nothing perhaps?

I'm thinking of something like:

Subversion Client, version 0.14.2-r3133 (dev build)
   compiled Aug 31 2002, 18:42:47