Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by alvaro z <al...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/16 00:21:03 UTC

about PDF / HTML index

im using lucene with TXT and HTML files , its working.

the only problem with HTML files is that i have to index html files as txt first , before to index them as HTML.

do anyone have try to index pdf files ?

im trying the pdfbox , is there any samples for indexing pdf files ? (i dont find any samples to do that) with any of the parsers (pdfbox, jpedal ,etc).

thanks for helping,

Alvaro. from Lima - Peru

Re: about PDF / HTML index

Posted by Ben Litchfield <be...@csh.rit.edu>.
PDFBox comes with the class
org.pdfbox.searchengine.lucene.LucenePDFDocument which shows how to
parse /index a pdf document.

Ben

Re: about PDF / HTML index

Posted by Peter Becker <pb...@dstc.edu.au>.
Hi Alvaro,

there are some examples in our code here -- working with a slightly
similar interface to the Ant task in the Lucene contributions.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/toscanaj/docco/source/org/tockit/docco/indexer/documenthandler/

The actual step of turning it into a Lucene Document happens here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/toscanaj/docco/source/org/tockit/docco/indexer/DocumentProcessingFactory.java?rev=1.30&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

This code is still work in progress, but it does work -- we are running
it on a few ten thousand documents from time to time. Both PDFBox and
Multivalent fail to read some PDF documents in the collection, but so
does Acrobat Reader. We still have to do a more formal test to see which
one does a better job, at the moment we are still coding the core bits,
then we test properly.

HTH,
    Peter