Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org> on 2007/08/22 12:05:22 UTC

Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory 'master')

Hi,

I have a locked directory, and trying to do svn cleanup I get the
following message:
Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory
'master')

I have tried to edit .svn/log and add an empty 'name' attribute to that
entry, but then svn cleanup complains:
svn: Unrecognized logfile element 'upgrade-format' in '.'

I have tried to STFW, but the only suggestion I came across is the one
mentioned above. Both svn log and svn st works. All files in the directory
(and sub-directories) are owned by me.

The following is the complete contents of the original .svn/log. When
trying the trick mentioned above I inserted name="" between lines 1 and 2.
<upgrade-format
    format="8"/>
<modify-entry
    name=""
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/dir-props"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/dir-prop-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name=""
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.tex.latexmain"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/thesis.tex.latexmain.svn-work"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/prop-base/thesis.tex.latexmain.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.tex.latexmain"
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>
<modify-entry
    name="svnst.sh"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="true"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/svnst.sh.svn-work"/>
<mv
    dest=".svn/prop-base/svnst.sh.svn-base"
    name=".svn/tmp/prop-base/svnst.sh.svn-base"/>
<readonly
    name=".svn/prop-base/svnst.sh.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="svnst.sh"
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>
<modify-entry
    name="notater.txt"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/notater.txt.svn-work"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/prop-base/notater.txt.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="notater.txt"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/notater.txt.svn-work"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/prop-base/notater.txt.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="notater.txt"
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.bib"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/thesis.bib.svn-work"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/prop-base/thesis.bib.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.bib"
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.tex"
    present-props=""
    cachable-props="svn:special svn:externals svn:needs-lock"
    has-prop-mods="false"
    has-props="false"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/props/thesis.tex.svn-work"/>
<rm
    name=".svn/prop-base/thesis.tex.svn-base"/>
<modify-entry
    name="thesis.tex"
    prop-time="1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000Z"/>

Regars,
Anders Schau Knatten

Re: Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory 'master')

Posted by Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org>.
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:55:33 +0200, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Subversion expects to be allowed to rename files on top of existing
> files. All filesystems we know of allow it. We need that feature to be
> able to keep the working copy in a sane/known state at all times. If
> sshfs doesn't provide that feature, then, if you want to use it with
> Subversion, you'll need to add it.

Ah, that explains the problems I had after figuring out the version
problems.

> You can't mix access to working copies between 1.4 and 1.3 though: 1.4
> will upgrade the format to 8 and 1.3 doesn't know about that format...

That is perfectly understandable.

Thank you for all your help.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 8/23/07, Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:54:04 +0200, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 8/22/07, Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a locked directory, and trying to do svn cleanup I get the
> >> following message:
> >> Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory
> >> 'master')
> >>
> >> I have tried to edit .svn/log and add an empty 'name' attribute to that
> >> entry, but then svn cleanup complains:
> >> svn: Unrecognized logfile element 'upgrade-format' in '.'
> >
> > You're mixing client versions to access your working copy: a 1.4
> > client may write the 'upgrade-format' command to your working copy.
> > Only 1.3 or earlier clients don't know what to do with it.
> >
> > So, you got your WC in this state with a 1.4+ client and it looks like
> > you're trying to get out of the situation using an older client.
> >
> > To resolve the issue, try running 'svn cleanup' using a 1.4 client.
> >
> > There's a bit of a weird thing though: your log contains an awful lot
> > of 'rm' commands yet it doesn't look like a log which may have
> > resulted from a commit operation. What are you trying to do?
>
> You are right about the conflicting clients. I use 1.3 on one of my boxes
> (let's call it A), but I have mounted the same filesystem via sshfs on my
> laptop (lets' call it B), which has 1.4 installed. I have not worked on
> these files for quite a while. So long actually, that I do not remember
> everything I did before. This was also before I started using sshfs.
>
> Now I just wanted to do "svn up" and "svn ci". I ended up just checking
> out a fresh copy into a new directory, copying the few changed files here,
> and then check in. I did all of this on A. That worked nicely.
>
> There seems to be some problems with using svn on top of sshfs on B
> however. When trying to checkout a fresh copy into a new directory
> I get the following error:
>
> $ svn co svn+ssh://myhost.org/svn/myproject/trunk testdirectory
> svn: Can't move 'testdirectory/.svn/tmp/entries' to
> 'testdirectory/.svn/entries': Operation not permitted

Subversion expects to be allowed to rename files on top of existing
files. All filesystems we know of allow it. We need that feature to be
able to keep the working copy in a sane/known state at all times. If
sshfs doesn't provide that feature, then, if you want to use it with
Subversion, you'll need to add it.

You can't mix access to working copies between 1.4 and 1.3 though: 1.4
will upgrade the format to 8 and 1.3 doesn't know about that format...

> This only happens when I am inside the sshfs-mounted part of my
> filesystem, when inside a part of the filesystem that resides on the local

Yes, as I said, all filesystems we know of allow renaming files on top
of existing files...

bye,

Erik.

Re: Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory 'master')

Posted by Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org>.
wrote:

> On 8/22/07, Anders Schau Knatten <an...@knatten.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a locked directory, and trying to do svn cleanup I get the
>> following message:
>> Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory
>> 'master')
>>
>> I have tried to edit .svn/log and add an empty 'name' attribute to that
>> entry, but then svn cleanup complains:
>> svn: Unrecognized logfile element 'upgrade-format' in '.'
>
> You're mixing client versions to access your working copy: a 1.4
> client may write the 'upgrade-format' command to your working copy.
> Only 1.3 or earlier clients don't know what to do with it.
>
> So, you got your WC in this state with a 1.4+ client and it looks like
> you're trying to get out of the situation using an older client.
>
> To resolve the issue, try running 'svn cleanup' using a 1.4 client.
>
> There's a bit of a weird thing though: your log contains an awful lot
> of 'rm' commands yet it doesn't look like a log which may have
> resulted from a commit operation. What are you trying to do?

You are right about the conflicting clients. I use 1.3 on one of my boxes
(let's call it A), but I have mounted the same filesystem via sshfs on my
laptop (lets' call it B), which has 1.4 installed. I have not worked on
these files for quite a while. So long actually, that I do not remember
everything I did before. This was also before I started using sshfs.

Now I just wanted to do "svn up" and "svn ci". I ended up just checking
out a fresh copy into a new directory, copying the few changed files here,
and then check in. I did all of this on A. That worked nicely.

There seems to be some problems with using svn on top of sshfs on B
however. When trying to checkout a fresh copy into a new directory
I get the following error:

$ svn co svn+ssh://myhost.org/svn/myproject/trunk testdirectory
svn: Can't move 'testdirectory/.svn/tmp/entries' to
'testdirectory/.svn/entries': Operation not permitted

This only happens when I am inside the sshfs-mounted part of my
filesystem, when inside a part of the filesystem that resides on the local
disk, everything works as it should.

Thanks,
Anders

Re: Log entry missing 'name' attribute (entry 'upgrade-format' for directory 'master')

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.