Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2018/10/06 04:27:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Hi Accumulo devs,

I'm thinking about initiating a vote next week for a 2.0.0-alpha
release, so we can have an official ASF release (albeit without the
usual stability expectations as a normal release) to be available for
the upcoming Accumulo Summit.

An alpha version would signal our progress towards 2.0.0 final, serve
as a basis for testing, and give us something to share with a wider
audience to solicit feedback on the API, configuration, and module
changes. Of course, it would still have to meet ASF release
requirements... like licensing and stuff, and it should essentially
work (so people can actually run tests), but in an alpha release, we
could tolerate flaws we wouldn't in a final release.

Ideally, I would have preferred a 2.0.0 final at this point in the
year, but I think it needs more testing.

Does an alpha release next week seem reasonable to you?

Christopher

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:47 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 1:36 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:
> > >
> > > yes alphas please. Do we want to talk about expectations on time
> > > between alpha releases? What kind of criteria for beta or GA?
> >
> > There are a lot of changes in 2.0.0.  I plan to spend a lot of time
> > kicking the tires on 2.0.0-alpha.  It may be useful to set a tentative
> > deadline for 2.0.0 GA inorder to help anyone else planning to poke at
> > 2.0.0 prioritize and plan.  Seems like somewhere around 1 to 4 months
> > after alpha for GA would be reasonable. Not sure what the exact time
> > should be, I just know too short is bad and too long is bad.
> >

> I'd really like us to put 2.0 GA readiness in terms of feature /
> correctness goals rather than a strict time limit.

I agree, goals should take precedence over a date. May still be nice
to set a tentative goal date for completing the goals. Where would be
a good place to post this list of 2.0 release criteria?  Maybe a
Github issue with a checklist?  Below are some goals I think would be
good for 2.0.

 * Upgrade testing
 * Performance testing
 * Correctness testing
 * Write examples projects that use new features.
 * Review and/or write docs for new features and major changes.

For my testing I'll write it up as I go.  If there is an issue, I
could comment about that testing on the issue.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:

> And can we keep the master branch the one used for 2.0.0-* until 2.0.0
> is ready for candidates for a GA release?

I am in favor of that for now.   We could delay creating a 2.0 branch
until someone starts making non 2.0 changes.  If that never happens
before 2.0 GA, then nothing to do.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
Ok cool yeah sounds good.

+1 for Alpha

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 7:33 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't know the answers to these questions. I just want to put a
> stake in the ground before the Accumulo Summit, so we have a basis for

I am in favor of trying to do an alpha release and completing the
release notes before the summit.  I can help with the release notes,
it may be at the 11th hour though.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Ah, yes. I think you're right. Thanks again :)

On 10/9/18 12:32 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
>> Didn't RFile summaries show up in 1.9 too? (maybe I'm inventing that)
>
> I think you are thinking of Sampling, that was released in 1.8.0, showing
> up in 1.9.  I still get them confused.  They both are similar and start
> with S.
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mike.
>>
>> Didn't RFile summaries show up in 1.9 too? (maybe I'm inventing that)
>>
>> On 10/9/18 11:39 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
>>> I think once we collect all the changes in 2.0 (there are a lot) we will
>> be
>>> able to create some bullet points, picking out changes most interesting
>>> users. The new bulk import process Kieth, Mark and I worked on should be
>>> one.  There are many new features that come along with it that weren't

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Mike.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:05 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Frankly, planning a release without even an idea of what is going into it
> seems like a waste of time to me.
>
> I didn't ask these questions to try to squash such a release; I don't think
> they're particularly difficult to figure out. Just curious what the release
> notes would look like (as a user, this is what I would care about). I don't
> think I'm alone.

We do need to finish these release notes.  Working towards an Alpha
release will hopefully motivate finishing them.   I created the
following issue, if anyone thinks something should be in the release
notes please add a comment.

https://github.com/apache/accumulo-website/issues/115

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

RE: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com>.
+1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I think the benefits of an alpha release can be, and have been,
expressed elsewhere in the internet better than I could do it. But, in
short, an alpha is to solicit feedback from a wider audience, outside
the devs.

In ASF, release candidates are part of the process for making any
release, including an alpha release. So, we'd be voting on RC1 of
2.0.0-alpha. A release candidate can't substitute for a release of any
kind. They serve different purposes. A passing vote would mean that we
can more explicitly share it outside the ASF committers to get the
feedback that an alpha asks for. For example, we can publish the alpha
release to Maven Central and the ASF mirrors, as well as link on our
downloads page.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 12:53 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/9/18 12:44 PM, Keith Turner wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 12:27 AM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Accumulo devs,
> >>
> >> I'm thinking about initiating a vote next week for a 2.0.0-alpha
> >> release, so we can have an official ASF release (albeit without the
> >> usual stability expectations as a normal release) to be available for
> >> the upcoming Accumulo Summit.
> >>
> >> An alpha version would signal our progress towards 2.0.0 final, serve
> >> as a basis for testing, and give us something to share with a wider
> >> audience to solicit feedback on the API, configuration, and module
> >> changes. Of course, it would still have to meet ASF release
> >> requirements... like licensing and stuff, and it should essentially
> >> work (so people can actually run tests), but in an alpha release, we
> >> could tolerate flaws we wouldn't in a final release.
> >>
> >> Ideally, I would have preferred a 2.0.0 final at this point in the
> >> year, but I think it needs more testing.
> >>
> >> Does an alpha release next week seem reasonable to you?
> >

> > I am in favor of an Alpha release.  Also, Alpha releases imply feature
> > freeze in some projects.  I am in favor of feature freeze.  Is anyone
> > opposed to feature freeze?
> >
> > Below is what feature freeze means to me.
> >
> > We agree to avoid adding new features for 2.0 AND work on 2.0 will
> > focus on bug fixes and polishing features added before the Alpha.
> > This polishing work could result in API changes.  If anyone really
> > wants to add a new feature, they should discuss it on the mailing
> > list.
>
> No concerns with an alpha also implying a feature-freeze. That does mean
> that it should be even more straightforward to have a complete list of
> the features landing in 2.0.0 ;) (which remains my only concern)

If no one raises any objections to feature freeze in this discuss
thread, we could add something to the alpha release vote about feature
freeze.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Reading back over this whole thread, my understanding is that there is
explicit support from some people for an alpha, but others have
questioned the value of an alpha release. Some of the questions appear
to be centered around concerns about communicating our goals and
feature set for 2.0.0, and possibly an inadequate or unclear roadmap
to a final 2.0.0 release.

I think those are valid questions and concerns, but I do not think
they block an alpha. I think those issues can be addressed
concurrently with an alpha. So, I'm going to prepare a release
candidate for 2.0.0-alpha-1 and start a vote. Meanwhile, I encourage
everyone to contribute in whatever way they feel they can, whether
it's updating the draft release notes for 2.0.0, helping establish a
more concrete roadmap to 2.0.0 from here, or in whatever other way
they feel they can best contribute.

Thank you for everybody for participating in this discussion.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0.0-alpha?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.