Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com> on 2016/10/07 19:41:19 UTC

Kafaka 0.8, 0.9 in Structured Streaming

We recently merged support for Kafak 0.10.0 in Structured Streaming, but
I've been hearing a few people tell me that they are stuck on an older
version of Kafka and cannot upgrade.  I'm considering revisiting SPARK-17344
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-17344>, but it would be good
to have more information.

Could people please vote or comment on the above ticket if a lack of
support for older versions of kafka would block you from trying out
structured streaming?

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Kafaka 0.8, 0.9 in Structured Streaming

Posted by Scott Reynolds <sr...@twilio.com>.
It is always the case that 0.8 and 0.9 will work with a 0.10 broker.

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
The main thing is picking up new partitions.  You can't do that
without reimplementing portions of the consumer rebalance.  The
low-level consumer is really low level, and the old high-level
consumer is basically broken (it might have been fixed by the time
they abandoned it, I dunno)

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
0.10 consumers won't work on an earlier broker.

Earlier consumers will (should?) work on a 0.10 broker.

The main things earlier consumers lack from a user perspective is
support for SSL, and pre-fetching messages.  The implementation is

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Smith <je...@acorns.com>.