Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/04/03 08:53:45 UTC

Building LogKit

Hi,

today I tried to build logkit and it was much easier than building excalibur
yesterday :)

But I had problems with the optional classes for servlets. From the build
file:

  <property name="servlet.jar" value="${lib.dir}/servlet.jar"/>

  <path id="project.class.path">
    <pathelement path="${java.class.path}" />
    <pathelement location="${junit.jar}"/>
    <pathelement path="${servlet.jar}" />
    <pathelement path="${j2ee.jar}" />
    <pathelement path="${jdbc.driver.jar}" />
    <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
      <include name="*.jar" />
      <exclude name="servlet*.jar" />
    </fileset>
    <pathelement path="${build.classes}" />
  </path>

So if my servlet classes are not in a jar named servlet.jar in the lib
directory
I have some problems as it is exclude (exclude name="servlet*.jar").
Is this by intention?

Carsten

Re: Building LogKit

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:59, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ah, ok, that does make sense. I thought that I only have to drop the
> servlet classes into the /lib directory regardless of the name of the
> jar file. I find this more intuitiv.

Okay will change it to be like that ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: Building LogKit

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:53, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > today I tried to build logkit and it was much easier than building
> > excalibur yesterday :)
> >
> > But I had problems with the optional classes for servlets. From
> the build
> > file:
> >
> >   <property name="servlet.jar" value="${lib.dir}/servlet.jar"/>
> >
> >   <path id="project.class.path">
> >     <pathelement path="${java.class.path}" />
> >     <pathelement location="${junit.jar}"/>
> >     <pathelement path="${servlet.jar}" />
> >     <pathelement path="${j2ee.jar}" />
> >     <pathelement path="${jdbc.driver.jar}" />
> >     <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
> >       <include name="*.jar" />
> >       <exclude name="servlet*.jar" />
> >     </fileset>
> >     <pathelement path="${build.classes}" />
> >   </path>
> >
> > So if my servlet classes are not in a jar named servlet.jar in the lib
> > directory
> > I have some problems as it is exclude (exclude name="servlet*.jar").
> > Is this by intention?
>
> The exclude was intentional. The idea was that you would always usethe
> servlet.jar specified in property rather than the one that was in
> lib dir. If
> you want we can remove the exclude however the intention was that you
> specifiy the following in an .ant.properties file if you wanted to use
> another version
>
> servlet.jar=lib/servlet-2.3.jar

Ah, ok, that does make sense. I thought that I only have to drop the
servlet classes into the /lib directory regardless of the name of the
jar file. I find this more intuitiv.
But now as I know how it works I'm fine with the current solution as well.

Thanks for your help

Carsten

Re: Building LogKit

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:53, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I tried to build logkit and it was much easier than building
> excalibur yesterday :)
>
> But I had problems with the optional classes for servlets. From the build
> file:
>
>   <property name="servlet.jar" value="${lib.dir}/servlet.jar"/>
>
>   <path id="project.class.path">
>     <pathelement path="${java.class.path}" />
>     <pathelement location="${junit.jar}"/>
>     <pathelement path="${servlet.jar}" />
>     <pathelement path="${j2ee.jar}" />
>     <pathelement path="${jdbc.driver.jar}" />
>     <fileset dir="${lib.dir}">
>       <include name="*.jar" />
>       <exclude name="servlet*.jar" />
>     </fileset>
>     <pathelement path="${build.classes}" />
>   </path>
>
> So if my servlet classes are not in a jar named servlet.jar in the lib
> directory
> I have some problems as it is exclude (exclude name="servlet*.jar").
> Is this by intention?

The exclude was intentional. The idea was that you would always usethe
servlet.jar specified in property rather than the one that was in lib dir. If
you want we can remove the exclude however the intention was that you
specifiy the following in an .ant.properties file if you wanted to use
another version

servlet.jar=lib/servlet-2.3.jar

--
Cheers,

Pete

 We shall not cease from exploration, and the
  end of all our exploring will be to arrive
 where we started and know the place for the
        first time -- T.S. Eliot