Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/10 12:30:25 UTC

Spark on YARN, HowTo kill executor or individual task?

Hi there!
I have weird issue that appears only when tasks fail at specific stage. I
would like to imitate failure on my own.
The plan is to run problematic app and then kill entire executor or some
tasks when execution reaches certain stage.

Is it do-able?

Re: Spark on YARN, HowTo kill executor or individual task?

Posted by Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>.
Yeah, then the easiest would be to fork spark and run using the forked
version, and in case of YARN it should be pretty easy to do.

git clone https://github.com/apache/spark.git

cd spark

export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx4g -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m"

./build/mvn -DskipTests clean package

./dev/make-distribution.sh --name custom-spark --tgz -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive
-Pyarn

ls -la spark-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT-bin-custom-spark.tgz

scp spark-2.4.0-SNAPSHOT-bin-custom-spark.tgz cluster:/tmp

export SPARK_HOME="/tmp/spark-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT-bin-custom-spark"

cd $SPARK_HOME
mv conf conf.new
ln -s /etc/spark/conf conf

echo $SPARK_HOME
spark-submit --version

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:40 AM Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I tried a similar approach, it works well for user functions. but I need
to crash tasks or executor when spark application runs "repartition". I
didn't any away to inject "poison pill" into repartition call :(

serega.sheypak@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
tasks or executors and then wait for completion.

gabor.g.somogyi@gmail.com>:

> [...]
application's source code like this:

0).writeStream.format("console").start()

a certain stage. Killing executor is also an option for me.

gabor.g.somogyi@gmail.com>:

> [...]
executor only and the rest of the app has to be untouched.

"org.apache.spark.executor.CoarseGrainedExecutorBackend.*applicationid"

process runs on a specific node(it's not required).

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Spark on YARN, HowTo kill executor or individual task?

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vadim Semenov <va...@datadoghq.com>.
something like this

import org.apache.spark.TaskContext
ds.map(r => {
  val taskContext = TaskContext.get()
  if (taskContext.partitionId == 1000) {
    throw new RuntimeException
  }
})

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to crash task which does repartition.
>
> пн, 11 февр. 2019 г. в 10:37, Gabor Somogyi <ga...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> What blocks you to put if conditions inside the mentioned map function?
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, but I don't need to crash entire app, I want to fail several tasks or executors and then wait for completion.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Spark on YARN, HowTo kill executor or individual task?

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabor Somogyi <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabor Somogyi <ga...@gmail.com>.