Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2004/10/08 21:10:48 UTC

Fw: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Any volunteers?

Forwarded by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>
 From:    Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
 To:      community@apache.org
 Date:    Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:02:18 +0200
 Subject: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?
----

Hi,

a quick look at
<http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RecentChanges> should
tell you why.

During the past weeks there have been at most four or five real
content edits per week.  At the same time our Wiki has attracted an
asian spammer that seems to be switching IP addresses so that blocking
probably won't work (at least I failed to see a system).

There still seem to be a few projects that use this Wiki instance
instead of wiki.apache.org, namely Axis, XML general, Pluto and maybe
FOP.

I hope that some people of those projects are subscribed here.  Please
ask for your own Wiki instance (with access control and commit mails)
and let's turn off that unmaintained thing.

Stefan

--------------------- Original Message Ends --------------------

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 8, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Christian Geisert wrote:
> Clay Leeds schrieb:
>> Sounds good to me. What do we need to do to make it so?
>
> See http://wiki.apache.org/general/HowToMakeWikiAdminRequests
> and http://wiki.apache.org/general/UseModMigration
>
> Christian

Looks like I'll need to become a member of 'apsite' group, so I can
make the necessary changes.

-bash-2.05b$ groups
clay apcvs xml

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

On Oct 8, 2004, at 12:10 PM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Any volunteers?
>

> Forwarded by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I think it sits with the infrastructure people to give away apsite
> permissions so we can set up the new wiki ourselves. It's all in the TLP
> creation request. Let's hope someone will soon find the time to process
> the request.

Great. However the issue is mainly about closing the
complete old wiki. Each project setting up a new one
is easy, when someone finds time and permissions.

--David

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 05.11.2004 05:34:24 Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Thanks, Clay and Christian, for taking care of this.
> >
> > I'm also still waiting for the TLP go. From certain statements I
> > expected the resolution to pass last week, but I guess they're busy.
> > The
> > next regular board meeting is on Wed, 20 Oct 2004. I'm inclined to give
> > them a chance until right after the meeting.
>
> We still have problems with the wiki which need to be resolved. I don't
> know where the ball sits. I noticed on infrastructure@ that folks are
> about ready to just lock it up and delete it after a couple of
> months... (I believe 'chmod -R -w' & 'switch it off after a couple of
> months' were bandied about...)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: XML Graphics hostname (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I agree with Glen & Jeremias that [1] is probably best. One other idea
(which I don't like as much as [1]) is graphics.xml.apache.org

But it may make one thing Apache XML Graphics Project is a subproject
of Apache XML Project, which it's not.

I think [1] xmlgraphics.apache.org is the best choice.

Web Maestro Clay

On Oct 24, 2004, at 8:36 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Visually I like [2] better, but I think [1] will
> create fewer problems over time (for example, with the
> ML address, general@xmlgraphics.apache.org will
> probably cause fewer typing problems than
> general@xml-graphics.apache.org.)   So a slight
> preference for [1], although either is OK with me.
>
> I agree that [3] would not be a good idea.
>
> Glen
>
> --- Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> wrote:
>
>> I agree with your argument about emphasis, but [2]
>> would be a precedent
>> at Apache. Brian Behlendorf hinted at
>> "xmlgraphics.apache.org" which is
>> also my preference. [3] is probably not realistic.
>> Besides "xml-graphics"
>> would probably look peculiar besides "xmlbeans",
>> even thought they don't
>> have a space in the project name.
>>
>> We should decide on that real quick so I can request
>> the subdomain,
>> mailing lists (General and PMC) and Wiki.
>>
>> On 09.10.2004 17:10:46 Clay Leeds wrote:
>>> On that note... what will the new hostname (I
>> think that's the
>>> terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be
>> called?
>>>
>>> We probably will need to 'vote' on this until
>> after the Apache XML
>>> Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote
>> on this). My
>>> preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify
>> and emphasize the
>>> two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics",
>> which I think will
>>> help with branding. There may be other ideas on
>> how it should look, but
>>> these are a few
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/
>>> [2]
>>> http://xml-graphics.apache.org/
>>> [3]
>>> http://xml.graphics.apache.org/
>>

>> Jeremias Maerki

>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> general-help@xml.apache.org

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: XML Graphics hostname (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I agree with your argument about emphasis, but [2] would be a precedent
at Apache. Brian Behlendorf hinted at "xmlgraphics.apache.org" which is
also my preference. [3] is probably not realistic. Besides "xml-graphics"
would probably look peculiar besides "xmlbeans", even thought they don't
have a space in the project name.

We should decide on that real quick so I can request the subdomain,
mailing lists (General and PMC) and Wiki.

On 09.10.2004 17:10:46 Clay Leeds wrote:
> On that note... what will the new hostname (I think that's the
> terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be called?
>
> We probably will need to 'vote' on this until after the Apache XML
> Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote on this). My
> preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify and emphasize the
> two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics", which I think will
> help with branding. There may be other ideas on how it should look, but
> these are a few

<snip/>

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 9, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> While we're talking about volunteers, when the resolution passes we
> will
> have some work to do, creating a charter, setting up a website for XML
> Graphics which will link to the two existing websites under XML and a
> few other things. I intent to do a good part of this but I hope I will
> get some help.

On that note... what will the new hostname (I think that's the
terminology) for the Apache XML Graphics be called?

We probably will need to 'vote' on this until after the Apache XML
Graphics PMC is created (if we even need to vote on this). My
preferences is for option [2], as it helps clarify and emphasize the
two aspects of the new project "xml" & "graphics", which I think will
help with branding. There may be other ideas on how it should look, but
these are a few

We've already pretty much decided that FOP[4] & Batik[5] will retain
their web site structure, so the new Apache XML Graphics site will have
links. I don't recall if there are any other projects that fall under
the umbrella, and didn't notice any in this thread[6].

[1]
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/
[2]
http://xml-graphics.apache.org/
[3]
http://xml.graphics.apache.org/
[4]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/
[5]
http://xml.apache.org/batik/
[6]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?
listName=general@xml.apache.org&by=thread&from=814863

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

XML Graphics hostname (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 8, 2004, at 11:20 AM, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>> I've attached a slightly (very rough!) modified version which gives
>> an idea of what I think may work better. Namely, the paper is curled
>> in a different direction, so the XML on the 'back side' is
>> horizontal, making it more readable. Although it's not 'true' (i.e.,
>> the text would actually look more like yours), I think the
>> readability outweighs the suspension of disbelief :-).
>
>    I'll try and work on it, but I'm awfully busy right now.

I don't see this as a showstopper, so take your time. We can always
update the logo when we tire of the 'old' one. :-) In fact, we don't
even have the domain stuff ironed out yet (although it's forthcoming).

>> Since you're using Illustrator for your version, I'm hoping you could
>> make it even better using the source files. Still, I do like the
>> batikBatik.png theme.
>> On a related note, I'm having trouble when I open batikBatik.svg[1].
>> The image is almost all on one layer (one of the leaves has handles
>> and can be moved). Any ideas?
>
>    This is sort of the way the document is created.  The fill is a
> rect that covers the canvas, and it is made to look like a leaf with
> a clip-path.  Also there is some grouping going on so you need to
> ungroup to get to some stuff.  My oldish version of Illustrator drops
> some of the fill content :/

My mistake. I figured it out. I clicked in the document window
(selecting the entire graphic plus the leaf), and then looked for
"Ungroup" in the Object menu, which was inactive/gray. However, I
deselecting the graphic, and doing a Select-All. I needed to choose
Select > Next Object Below.

Sorry for the 'waste' of time.

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 8, 2004, at 10:21 AM, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
<snip>
>> This logo is actually my first *real* attempt at playing  with SVG
>> (I'd done some shapes before--which is why I added the  shapes).
>
>    This is a lot easier to do with an appropriate tool like
> Adobe Illustrator, or perhaps SodiPodi, or Sketsa (I've only
> really used Illustrator).

True. However, at the time I was more intrigued with the idea of
'drawing' with text. Quite powerful and fun(!?)...

>>>    Now for a few suggestions:
>>>
>>>     I have seen some of the Apache projects that left justify
>>> the text and move the feather up next to the 'The Apache'. This
>>> would work well for us since 'XML Graphics Project' is quite a
>>> bit longer.
>> Sounds good. If I can find the time this week, I'll play around with
>> it.
>
>    See attached example.  It's not great, the xml on the page isn't
> _quite_ large enough I don't think (for a 52 pixel rendering).
> Also the radial gradient is a cheap way to keep the rest of the logo
> from looking too plain.  It would be better to have something like a
> floorplan or chart or Illuminated text softly in the background.

I do like it a lot. Perhaps if the curl was more like the 'page curl'
resulting from the KPT plugin of the same name (I think that's what
it's called--it's been a while sine I thought about it. If you can make
it have less of a curve, it might be more readable (see attached).

>> That's doable. I don't know if the squiggles are well commented in
>> those .svg files, but if they are they should be easy to add. If not,
>>  could you or someone familiar with these attach the <svg/> for it to
>> a  JIRA/bugzilla issue?
>
>    The squiggle is a 'symbol' from batikLogo.svg.  It should be
> trivial to pull out.

OK.

>>> I don't know if FOP has a
>>> similar readily available icon you could use.
>> This is about all we have:
>> http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/images/logo.jpg
>
>    Very good, but not quite Iconic, although I really like the
> idea of using the Apache feather as a 'quill'. :)
>
>> I like the idea of the separate icon for XML Graphics, because I
>> envision other projects joining in.
>
>    Yes, this is the main problem with the 'icons' logo it
> doesn't really 'unite' the projects.  It actually tends to
> emphasize there independence.
>
>> I would guess that given your background in Batik, you might have
>> more  'dexterity' in creating SVG than I. If you (or anyone else
>> reading) has  the time (I know, who has that?) I'd love to see what
>> other folks can  come up with.
>
>    For 'artsy' stuff you really can't hand code SVG you have to use a
> tool.  But it helps to know SVG to trim and combine the 'artsy'
> elements into a compact logo.

Too true. That's why I was quite happy with the square, triangle and
circle (although I agree they're far too simple for our purposes! We
need to show how powerful the Apache XML Graphics Project can be!)

> <xmlgraphicsLogo.png>

I've attached a slightly (very rough!) modified version which gives an
idea of what I think may work better. Namely, the paper is curled in a
different direction, so the XML on the 'back side' is horizontal,
making it more readable. Although it's not 'true' (i.e., the text would
actually look more like yours), I think the readability outweighs the
suspension of disbelief :-).

Since you're using Illustrator for your version, I'm hoping you could
make it even better using the source files. Still, I do like the
batikBatik.png theme.

On a related note, I'm having trouble when I open batikBatik.svg[1].
The image is almost all on one layer (one of the leaves has handles and
can be moved). Any ideas?

[1]
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/samples/batikBatik.svg

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 8, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>    Well, I must admit to not being really excited by the new logo.
> Not to hurt people's feelings, note that it is good, but I think it
> could be better.  None of these are really strong held but are my
> opinions.

I was hoping for feedback (my first post RE: the 'new' logo was in
August--albeit on fop-dev), so I welcome any feedback I can get. Glen's
comment RE: using ws.a.o as another example notwithstanding (thanks
Glen!), I haven't had any other comments yet (hint! hint! ;-)).

> 	As it currently is I actually prefer the 'non svg shapes'
> version as the used shapes are rather simplistic (it makes it looks
> like an 80's graphics package).

I agree wholeheartedly. My intent was to get the idea of pushing the
graphics out there, but perhaps using gradient-filled shapes or
something might be better (or better yet, perhaps I should just shrink
the tiger...). This logo is actually my first *real* attempt at playing
with SVG (I'd done some shapes before--which is why I added the
shapes).

> 	The text is a bit hard to read over the Apache feather.  I
> know that you added the white surround and it helps but the letters
> still 'disappear' into the noise of the feather more than I would
> like.

I agree. I actually spent a bit of time on that, and was never
particularly happy when I was done.

>    Now for a few suggestions:
>
> 	I have seen some of the Apache projects that left justify
> the text and move the feather up next to the 'The Apache'. This
> would work well for us since 'XML Graphics Project' is quite a
> bit longer.

Sounds good. If I can find the time this week, I'll play around with it.

>         The URL in the corner is the old xml.apache.org URL, it
> should of course be xmlgraphics.apache.org (Ideally I'd like
> to turn this 90deg and have it run vertically, but it's too long
> to be readable when this is done).
>
>         If we want to have 'svg' in the logo I would look at the
> samples directory of Batik[1] and pull out some of those.  The one's
> that come to mind would be either of the map images (mapSpain,
> mapWaadt - which could be used pretty much 'as is') or perhaps
> grab elements from sunRise (although that is a little 'eclipse' like).

Thanks! There's some really cool stuff in there!
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
batik3D.png?rev=1.6&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
batik70.png?rev=1.6&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
batikLogo.png?rev=1.10&view=markup>

Favorite ideas/themes:
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
batikBatik.png?rev=1.5&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
batikYin.png?rev=1.5&view=markup>
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
textRotate.png?rev=1.10&view=markup>

I also like the Sun and the 'waxing crescent Moon' from here:
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/
moonPhases.png?rev=1.11&view=markup>

I think I like batikBatik.png best! I'd like to see what I could do to
get an Apache XML Graphics Project logo done in that kind of 'theme'...

> 	My actual preference would be to include 'icons' from the sub
> projects in the new logo.  For Batik this is simple since we already
> use the 'squiggle' heavily for this purpose (this is the
> red/green/blue mark in a bunch of places).

That's doable. I don't know if the squiggles are well commented in
those .svg files, but if they are they should be easy to add. If not,
could you or someone familiar with these attach the <svg/> for it to a
JIRA/bugzilla issue?

> I don't know if FOP has a
> similar readily available icon you could use.

This is about all we have:
http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/images/logo.jpg

although I have a close approximation for an svg logo. I'll see what I
can come up with.

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Guys,

[...]

red/green/blue mark in a bunch of places).  I don't know if FOP has a
similar readily available icon you could use.  I would picture these

[1] http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-batik/test-references/samples/

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
[Clay]

 >More thoughts and comments?

One site that may serve as a source for more ideas is the Apache Web
Services TLP:  http://ws.apache.org/.

Glen

Re: XMLGraphics temp site up (was Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 4, 2004, at 9:01 PM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Very nice--I like the xmlgraphics logo, and the layout of the text is
> well done.

Thanks for the comments, Glen!

> I think in general having fewer pages but of higher quality is
> preferable.
> Glen

I agree that having fewer pages is prefereable. However, because one of
the things we're trying to do with the Apache XML Graphics Project is
generate interest (members, users, contributors, etc.), my sense is
that we should present content which helps 'legitimize' the project
(that may be a poor choice of words...).

In other words, having few documents might make xmlgraphics 'appear'
less 'legitimate'.

To help us identify the pages which might be good to add, I've placed
the relevant pages from the Nav tab for xml.apache.org[2] below:

("[*]" indicates items I think make sense for xmlgraphics, and [?] are
questionable and [x])

About
- Welcome [*]
- News [?] gets stale easily!
- Mission [?] stated on Welcome page
- Guidelines [?] ???
Projects [*]
- FOP [*]
- Batik [*]
Community [*]
- Who We Are [*]
- Credits [x] spelled out in Who We Are
Resources [x]
- Downloads [x]
- Bug Database [x]
- Wiki [?] will there be a XMLGraphics wiki separate from FOP &/or
Batik?
- Gump [x]
Information [*]
- Get Involved [*]
- CVS Repositories [*]
- Mailing Lists [*]
- Reference [*]
- Legal Stuff [*]
- Contact Info [*]

More thoughts and comments?

[1]
>> http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/xml-graphics/

[2]
http://xml.apache.org/

Web Maestro Clay

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Oct 9, 2004, at 1:30 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip what=wiki-stuff>
> While we're talking about volunteers, when the resolution passes we
> will
> have some work to do, creating a charter, setting up a website for XML
> Graphics which will link to the two existing websites under XML and a
> few other things. I intent to do a good part of this but I hope I will
> get some help.

I've placed a temporary xmlgraphics.apache.org site live on my
homepage. Please take a look and provide feedback and comments:

http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/xml-fop/xml-graphics/

A couple of things to note:
- this 'site' is only one page and links to current FOP & Batik sites
- breadcrumb is Javascript, based on path/to/dir/ so it looks funny
- I'm open to suggestions!

A couple of ideas for enhancement:
- tabs for Apache.org & xml.apache.org (others?)
- links page (although FOP & Batik probably have that covered)
- PMC page
- other xmlgraphics-related pages?

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Thanks, Clay and Christian, for taking care of this.
> >
> > I'm also still waiting for the TLP go. From certain statements I
> > expected the resolution to pass last week, but I guess they're busy.
> > The
> > next regular board meeting is on Wed, 20 Oct 2004. I'm inclined to give
> > them a chance until right after the meeting.
>
> We still have problems with the wiki which need to be resolved. I don't
> know where the ball sits. I noticed on infrastructure@ that folks are
> about ready to just lock it up and delete it after a couple of
> months... (I believe 'chmod -R -w' & 'switch it off after a couple of
> months' were bandied about...)

There is more to it than that. We also said
in the other thread on this topic
"Re: [wiki] Migrate to the new moinmoin wiki farm!"
general@x.a.o Cc infrastructure@a.o
that when all projects had finally decided to move,
we would do another bulk conversion to Moin format,
and then lock the old one. Really it is up to the
PMCs to make this decision. How many projects still
have a wiki there? This decision is hard to coordinate.

I reckon it should just be done whatever happens. And soon.

--
David Crossley

Re: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 09.10.2004 01:21:26 Christian Geisert wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
> > Any volunteers?
>
> I did already volunteer some time ago[1] ;-)
> But I'm still waiting for xml-graphics tlp ...
>
> [1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listId=63&msgNo=8321

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Fw: Can we please disable the Wiki on Nagoya?

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.