Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Norman Schöneich <sc...@ecooperate.de> on 2001/10/16 12:06:19 UTC

Response Time in Netscape 4.7xx ?

Hi,

The cvs jetspeed site and my website based on jetspeed are very slow in
Internet Explorer and Netscape 6.x are rendering the site in a sufficient
manner. What's the problem ?
Have other users the same problem ?
Maybe it's a problem of nestings tables, i don't know !

Best regards

norsch

Norman Schöneich

Re: Response Time in Netscape 4.7xx ?

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Norman Schöneich wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The cvs jetspeed site and my website based on jetspeed are very slow in

The problem is related with the implementation of table rendering in
Netscape 4.0

>Internet Explorer and Netscape 6.x are rendering the site in a sufficient
>manner. What's the problem ?
>Have other users the same problem ?
>Maybe it's a problem of nestings tables, i don't know !

Yes, it is. The only way to make rendering faster is to minimize the
maximum depth of table nesting for each PSML page.

If you are interested in checking this, you could try to write templates
for Netscape 4 that load faster, and use the Profiler to select them
when the user agent is Netscape 4.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Norman,
Jetspeed uses a lot of nested tables.  Netscape 4.7 is known to have
performance problems with nested tables.  Depending on the complexity if
the Portal, some of the tables can be remove by editing the navigation,
template, and layout files.

Please do not cross post.  Post messages to ONE list!

Paul Spencer